I am writing this on the day the Irish people go to the polls to decide whether we are to be freed from the iron grip of the eu or have our lives made ever worse by more and more stupid directives.
This is the latest to ‘wind me up’ to an anti eu frenzy!
.
.
Britains’ tradition of rocking horse manufacture could be crippled by new eu safety regulations. According to the new standards, “activity toys” cannot have a height from saddle to floor of more than TWO feet! (or in their bloody directive - 60cm).
The British manufacturers say that, that effectively rules out all but the smallest rocking horses and could not only ruin a £35 million per year cottage industry but also deprive future generations of children of a magnificent traditional toy.
There is something very special about the traditional rocking horse. It occupies pride of place among playthings, to those who have parents who can afford to buy one.
Not only is it solid and dependable, but in many cases is a work of art that is likely to become a family heirloom.
The first toy horses appeared in the 15th century. These were the hobby horses, and in their simplest form might be no more than a stick with a carved head added.
By the late 17th century fully carved horses had begun to appear. These horses comprised a basic wooden structure covered in a thin layer of plaster called gesso.
This is the same as I used on my carvings on the organ front.
The most popular paint finish over this gesso, was a dappled grey, although for the most expensive horses, real animal skins were used.
The horse’s features were usually painted on, perhaps with the addition of glass eyes. The manes and tail were often real horse hair, and the saddles and bridles leather.
Today there are numerous different models from which to choose, but the basic Victorian design has remained largely unchanged.
Traditionally, rocking horse bodies were made of yellow pine, but this wood is now expensive and hard to obtain so woods such as Douglas Fir or Malayan jetlung are used.
Some horses are composed of as many as 16 different pieces of wood. Each horse generally takes between 60 and 80 hours to complete.
Antique rocking horses are now collectors‘ items and are fetching very high prices at auction.
However, if the eu have their wicked way there will be no chance of traditional rocking horses becoming the prized antiques of the next century.
One way round this would be to not to sell them as “activity toys” but label them as “for decorative use only” and then let the children ride them with the horses backsides facing brussels!

Great post Bernard- very interesting! Thanks. Love all the pics too. Kath
ReplyDeleteThanks Kath, I must admit, I wish I could get the hang of these offset pictures and text. I tend to stick with the full size ones as I know where they will end up.
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely photos and what frustrating, horrid rules! So does that mean we have no more fairgrounds then because kids have to sit higher on those rides than on any rocking horse. Maybe rocking horses could have harnesses to strap the children on. Oh dear, oh dear.
ReplyDeletePS Thanks for the 2 comments. I didn't publish either just to keep it all off the site. Thanks for tips on deleting comments too. I hadn't noticed the dustbin.
ReplyDeleteNoted the 100% bit I hope you realise I wasn't actually making enquiries in that line at all. There's a comic character whose name I've forgotten but he ties himself in knots by just saying too much and saying more in trying to out it all right and I was having one of his days.
The EU has a lot to answer for, along with Health and safety. Good post.
ReplyDeleteIt would make more sense to me to require that all children wear safety helmets when riding. That would promote another business rather than destroy the one that exists. I had a rocking horse made when Bob was a toddler. You couldn't knock him off it if you tried. Sometimes we have trouble realizing that children are not like us. We are tall and awkward and often not very strong.
ReplyDeleteFoody, I don't expect it to apply to fairgrounds or even existing rocking horses. It is aimed at the manufacture of new ones.
ReplyDeleteThank you Eliza, it seems to get worse every day. Safety and common sense are fine, but a lot of this regulation is way 'over the top'.
Hi Jan, I don't believe in wrapping children up in too much 'cotton-wool'. As kids we used to climb trees, walk along the top of every wall we could find. Sure we hurt ourselves sometimes but it is all part of growing up. As I've got older I've become more nervous of being up ladders and trees.
A very interesting and informative post.
ReplyDeleteThank you Cherie. One of my more serious pieces.
ReplyDeleteWhen I last checked, children under 14 are required by law to wear riding hats when riding real ponies. Yes I'm surprised they don't have to wear hats and back protectors on rocking horses too.
ReplyDelete"Required by law"? That's a bit OTT.
ReplyDeletePerhaps it only applies on a public highway? Like wearing of seatbelts, and crash-hats. You see quite a number of people riding motorbikes & quad-bikes on private land without helmets.