.
Just bought myself a 'cracking' new pair of suspenders.
None of your flimsy sort....a good strong pair.
A patriotic pair......all red, white and blue.
.
.
Come on now....no giggling at the back please!
.
.
You notice they were made in U.S.A.
I couldn't get any British ones with 'extra heavy duty, wide fasteners'.
They should go well with my Organ Grinding outfit, don't you think?
.
.
I love the way the Americans and us, have different words for the same items.
I expect we all have our favourites and this discussion could go on for days.
I believe American ladies keep their stockings up with garters....but I did that as a boy. Mother used to sew up small rings of elastic to go under the folded tops of our socks. She never got the dimensions correct and we all ended up with not only red rings around our legs, but also a lack of blood to the toes!
Now I bet your all thinking.....he can't possibly have a song about a pair of bracers.
No......but I do have the next best thing.....a record about suspenders!
.
.

I bet you look great in that outfit.
ReplyDeleteYes it is strange that our words differ, one recently pointed out to me was trunk instead of the boot of a car.
Thank you Val, I have either a bowler hat or a top hat to go with it.
ReplyDeleteThat 'trunk' is a new one on me too.
When I started reading this post, I thought, well, we all have our secrets...My Grandad used to wear what he called suspenders- a contraption of elastic round each calf, that had a clip to keep his socks up. I never came across anyone else who wore them. I do like your outfit Bernard, you could walk round Glastonbury in that and not get a second glance, but I see what you mean about Thame Waitrose :) Kath
ReplyDeleteLove the outfit. I'll twang your suspenders any time.
ReplyDeleteGlad you like it Kath. It seems to be a sort of standard 'get up' for Organ Grinders so I saw no reason to break with tradition. Talking of Waitrose in Thame......I haven't seen that funny little rustic fellow playing his button accordion in the passage leading down to Waitrose, for many months now? See what happens if you wear funny hats in Thame! They lock you up!
ReplyDelete'Fraid I won't be down in Devon until the next visit to Dingles Fairground Museum DD. Don't know the date yet.....but the 'suspenders' will get their first airing at Millets Farm Garden Centre near Abingdon on 28 Nov.
The outfit looks great. I love the way you manage to find a song for everything :-)
ReplyDeleteI believe Millets is just around the corner from WIs Denman College ... Marcham. I'm often in there ... spending up.
ReplyDeleteIt doesn't look so good with me in it, Cherie. I'm putting weight on and now can't do the waistcoat buttons up.
ReplyDelete"Life is a song" so they say, but I expect I shall run out of both one day! (but not too soon, I hope).
You do get around Valerie. Yes, It's further along the A415, thro' Frilford and just passed Kingston Bagpuize at a place called Garford.
I love that name "Kingston Bagpuss"!!!
Ha ha, we call it Bagpuss too! K
ReplyDeleteLove the outfit too. Like a lot of people, I really don't like the way the Americans have different words for things, but they could hardly be expected to have the same words, living all that way away.
ReplyDeleteI dislike "trash" and especially "pants" for trousers. "Suspenders" is another I dislike. I hate "diapers".
This really is uncanny! One of these days I'll find somewhere you haven't been! LOL.
ReplyDeleteWoops! Sorry Foody, I was typing a comment right on top of yours.
ReplyDeleteHmmmm. I think everyone should have whatever words they like in their own country. I am not too keen on 'importing' words into our language.
My pet hate at the moment is 'Tonite'. Where it comes from I know not.
We are always being told 'Language is a living thing' & 'Language is evolving'...not so sure I like it though.
Oh, I'm not as well travelled as I would like, I have only been to Scotland once and that was to get married! K
ReplyDeleteDoes that mean you don't go and see you Scottish relations anymore?
ReplyDeleteOr......did you elope to Gretna Green?
Answer "B" we snuck off between Chistmas and New Year! The brakes froze on the train and we all had to disembark. I think that was at Penryth...
ReplyDeleteI thought Penryth was in Wales?
ReplyDeleteoops I mean Penrith! K
ReplyDeleteWhere did you find anything Made in the USA? Everything here is made in China.
ReplyDeleteJan, I got them from the same place you bought your 'Shoes with Toes'!!
ReplyDeleteIt's not that bad surely? China can't be providing the whole world....can it?
I've just this minute opened a bottle of Red Wine to enjoy (3 glasses) with my evening meal....it says "California" on the label....don't tell me the grapes are grown in China!!! Oh no,
Cheers ....Bernard