Friday, 9 October 2009

What's in a Name?

.
I have never asked anyone famous for their autograph. I missed my one and only chance at the tender age of six. My cousin Susan and I had been taken into Lewis’s in the centre of Birmingham, for what reason I cannot remember.
.
.
However, Wilfrid Pickles was broadcasting “Have a go Joe”, a sort of early BBC radio quiz show. I can remember the phrase “Give her the money, Mable” being used for the winners and losers.
My mother had bought me a book by Dora Broome called “Matilda Mouse”.
Wilfred Pickles used to read these stories to children on radio programmes, and had written the forward in this book.

“Go and ask him to autograph your book” my mother suggested.
But being a shy lad, my cousin Sue stood in and happily took the book up on the stage to request the signature. I had failed!

.

Over the years, I have acquired quite a few ‘famous’ autographs by buying second-hand books. It was only when I got home and started reading, that I found the signatures in the front.
First off, is Bud Flannagan, from “Underneath the Arches’ fame and who actually lived in Bourne End for a short while. I bought this in Bourne End antique shop for £1.

.
In the local hospice charity shop I found, also for a pound, a Pam Ayres book. Unlike me, Marjorie' is obviously no longer a fan of Miss Ayres.

A set of heated rollers,
Is every maid's delight,
It stops you wearing curlers,
In the middle of the night,
It keeps you looking spick and span,
When all the rest are not,
And although your hands are freezing cold,
Your head, is nice and hot!

.
.
And only a couple weeks ago, in Thame Oxfam shop, I found this joke book by Frank Muir.

A Scotsman was stripping his wallpaper when his friend came round to see him.
'Ah, Andrew' said the friend, 'are you decorating?'
'No. We're moving'

These were all bought for the book, and not because I collect autographs.

Sheet music is another source of interesting signatures. I have quite a number of sheets autographed by the composer. Not Beethoven or Mozart, but more..... late Victorian to early 20th century.
.

5 comments:

  1. The autographs were a bonus then, having bought the books for different reasons. I only have a couple of autographed books, maybe one day people might say 'Oooo fancy that' but at the moment they don't mean much.
    Perhaps you were taken to Lewis's to visit the famous childrens toy and grotto floor at the top of the building. It was the place to go, especially at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Val, you could be right. I remember a roof garden, which was very exciting for us children and I can remember going there to get our hair cut. They had large 'birds' and 'animals' for the children to sit on instead of chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's right, and the roof garden had to be closed when someone tried to jump off. T'wasn't me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Lewis's!! I don't collect autographs myself but couldn't resist a quiet word to George Melly once in Bath.He signed his latest lovely vinyl record for me.Is he still with us?Please let me know someone.
    Years later I took my daughter to have a chat with Jane and Christopher and get their autographs in the Midlands.A month later we moved to Adelaide and saw them again, a one off to do both hemispheres in a short space of time.Is this a record,do we care?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Elizabeth,
    No longer with us I'm afraid ....
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1556510/George-Melly.html
    Cheers..... Bernard

    ReplyDelete