.
Doctor: “Kipper, you’re ‘run down’.”
Kipper: “What do you recommend Doctor?”
Doctor: “Well, when I feel ‘run down’ I take my wife away for the weekend.
That’s what you should do.”
Kipper: “Very well Doctor, is your wife free next weekend?”
Actually, when I feel 'run down', a dose of humour is the best medicine.
So here's a really strange device from 1903.
.
.
Strange things they get up to in Aylesbury.
Now this next bit from the news is no laughing matter.
Figures from the National Patient Safety Agency showed that 459,500 patient safety incidents and near misses occurred in England between last October and March.
This is a 12 per cent increase on the previous six months but the agency, which collects and monitors safety data in the NHS, said that better reporting was fuelling the rise.
A breakdown showed that 303,016 cases, or 66 per cent, resulted in no harm to the patient, while 122,246 (27 per cent) resulted in low harm.
Oh....so that's OK then?
.

.
"a low rate incident?"
Sir Bruce Keogh, the NHS medical director, welcomed the high rate of incidents that resulted in little or no harm but warned that the NHS “must not be complacent”.
He "welcomed the high rate of incidents"!
I would have preferred a lower rate of ALL incidents….FULL STOP!
.

I was interested in the record making machine. The violin does sound more like the human voice (although not greatly so), the higher the position you play in, if you know what I mean. That's what my tutor told me when I complanined that I could play this piece of Vaughan Williams (what was it? Maybe "Lovely Joan") much more easily in first position using open strings, and I though "Oh yes, he is right, actually".
ReplyDeleteOh, I don't know about the other thing. It's probably health and safety gone mad again and what they define as an incident probably isn't one at all.
I did like the Kipper joke. It remids me of one of our favourites by Tommy Cooper. It goes (something) like this.
ReplyDeleteTommy- Doctor, I hurt it in 3 places.
Doctor- Don't go to those places.
Whenever anyone in our house complains of any aches and pains, we always say "Don't go to those places" and fall about. On lookers would think us mad- a pretty accurate diagnosis.
I think Foody you may have misread it.
ReplyDeleteIt is a machine for playing back records.
I agree the violin has most of the harmonics of a female human voice and I suppose that is why they say you can make a violin 'sing'.
Hi Kath, now you either like Tommy Cooper or you loath him.
"Being Tickled" as Ken Dodd would say is a very personal thing. I fall about at things that leave other people cold.
"I don't know what you see in that" they say.
Oh I agree. Personally I could never see why the "dead parrot sketch" could make my brother weep with laughter? K
ReplyDeleteI don't actually weep...but I do like Monty Python. You see, I'm old enough to have watched those original programs back in/around 1969.
ReplyDeleteWe all fell about laughing. It was a sort of 'cult' or 'following'.
Indeed,remember seeing the very first Monty Python, so do you I bet?
ReplyDeleteWhat is a 'near miss'? I'm mystified about what constitutes an almost incident.Best not to go to those places!
Hi Elizabeth,
ReplyDeleteYes I did see the first program, and I also have it on tape, so that I can re-live those early days anytime I like. Quite a lot of them can be found on YouTube.
I think perhaps a 'near miss' is something like serving a beef steak to a vegetarian patient or a bacon sarnie to a Jewish one.