.

.
Well the sun rose once again over Cliveden this morning. There were no spectacular images caused by this elusive dust here in Bourne End.
However I did pay Cliveden a visit the other day. It is National Trust property and being ‘on my doorstep‘ so to speak, I like to have my money’s worth from the membership.
At this time of the year, with no leaves on the trees, I can see the house from my upstairs room.
(Click on photos to enlarge)
.
.
The Fountain of Love
The gardens are not at their best until the summer months when all the beds are planted up. At the moment there are millions of daffs out, but as you know what they look like, you will be spared a ’daffodil picture’. What I was hoping to photograph though was the 10,000 tulip bulbs that had been planted in the Long Garden.
Sorry, there were 9,998 tulip buds but only two in flower! I shall have to go back later.
.
.
The Water Gardens had been really well cleared of old and dying plants. It looked very bare, but I expect it will all recover in time and perhaps give us a better show this year.
One new addition to the gardens is a maze.
.
.
The proposed layout.
In 1894 Lord Astor created a large Yew Maze near the Water Garden, but up until recently only a few scraggy bushes remained. Starting in 2009 The National Trust has begun to recreate the Cliveden Maze on the same site. The maze, which is due for completion in 2011, is based on Lord Astor’s original plan and will cover an area of approximately 1/3 of an acre.
.
.
You can see work is well under way in laying down the steel edging to contain the gravel pathways. When these are complete there is the task of planting the 1,100 young yew trees.
The sun began to sink behind the Clock Tower (actually a water tower) and still no spectacular sunsets. Never mind - a good half day out.
.
.
Loads of Mistletoe.
PS. If you haven't guessed -
I was joking about the name of the maze!
.

We used to visit a lot when my son was small and we lived in Maidenhead. Plenty of room to run down the slopes, arms outstretched, making aeroplane noises. He would have loved the maze I'm sure.Given Clivedens saucy history, I wouldnt have been surprised if the maze had aquired that nick-name!
ReplyDeleteAnd there was I thinking that you were too young to remember Christine Keeler
ReplyDeleteand Mandy Rice-Davis. :)
You can't beat England's National Trust properties. THere is always somewhere to go and you never have to travel far to find one. It's one of the things I love most about England.
ReplyDeleteGlad to be back in touch. I'm off to catch up with a bit of reading.
Cheers
Helen
Hi Helen:
ReplyDeleteThat's true, they take a lot of beating.
What I like is that you can go back time and time again to the same property and still find something new. Of course the changing seasons always give us different views of the same gardens.
Very lovely, colourful post again, Unc. These places are always very uplifting.
ReplyDeleteI have never visited that property, it sounds really interesting. I am sure the Tulips will look fantastic when the finally do decide to flower.
ReplyDeleteOoooohhhhh you are awful, Bernard ... but I like you! Hubby always told me that when I walked round a maze, I should keep the trees to my right-hand side and I would eventually get to the middle - same on the way out. Probably everyone knows that anyway. If your house is the big white one overlooking the fountain, you are a very lucky man indeed. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks ever-so Foody.
ReplyDeleteI shall do a foodie post for you on Tuesday.
Hi Cherie,
It is nice but not worth a long trip from Shropshire as the house is a hotel and hidden from public view. OK if combined with another house or houses.
Hi Mrs. S.
It is true. It works for the left hand as well. Choose one and stick with it all the way round. Sorry, my fault. Bad writing. I live a couple of miles away and I meant to say that I can see the Main House (not shown above - but can be seen on the links) from my upstairs window. That white house in the picture is a gate house at the exit.
Aw, thanks! I meant to say I did like the picture a lot, of that table groaning with food!
ReplyDelete