Monday, 12 April 2010

The Lone Trail Lures you on.


I have to thank Von in Australia for this idea.
.
.
.

The trails of the world be countless,
and most of the trails be tried;
.
.
Ilmer.

You tread on the heels of many,
till you come where the ways divide;
.
.
Little Missendon.

And one lies safe in the sunlight,
and the other is dreary and wan,
.
.
Aston Sandford.

Yet you look aslant at the lone trail,
and the lone trail lures you on.
.
.
Cock Marsh.

And somehow you’re sick of the highway,
with its noise and its easy needs,
.
.
Dorchester-on-Thames.

And you seek the risk of the by-way,
and you reck not where it leads.
.
.
Turville.
Poem by :-R W Service.
.

7 comments:

  1. We do have a green and pleasant land Bernard, and I am familiar with most of the places in the pics, nice start to a Monday morn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, very picturesque, sunny little places. Wish I could be in any one of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh,it's many years since I walked from Cookham Moor, across Cock Marsh to the river. I worked at nearby Winter Hill golf course for a while, the views down to the river were lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Oh to be in England, now that April's here." Very nice matching photos and verse.

    Have to tell you that last week I took down some John Denver records from the loft - and here you are posting him on your blog. Nice to see you in the picture under the umbrella (but I guess you prefer to remain invisible in a way). xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for your nice comments. Actually I felt a wee bit guilty as I had posted a couple of those pictures up on earlier blogs. They fitted the words and I couldn't find a new one.
    Cheers.......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some very lovely country lanes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are Cherie; I was following an idea from Von who showed us some dusty Australian roads.
    I think Australia may be a bit too hot and dry for me :)

    ReplyDelete