.
Perched on top of one of the southernmost ridges of the Chiltern hills, Flackwell Heath enjoys superb views on three sides; to the south over the Thames valley to the South Downs far beyond, and to the east and north over the Wye valley curving round from Wycombe through Wooburn to Bourne End.
The cherry industry was important to several Chiltern villages, for example Prestwood and Holmer Green. Whereas these two villages tended to have larger, commercial orchards, it was Flackwell Heath with its prettier mosaic of smaller fields and meadows that seems to have been generally regarded as the queen of the Chiltern cherry villages.
There were two main events that marked the cherry season. On Cherry Sunday, the Sunday in April that coincided most closely with the peak of the cherry blossom, visitors from Wycombe and surrounding villages would pack Flackwell Heath's narrow country lanes to admire the trees, before most likely fortifying themselves in one or other of the local pubs before the long walk back home again.
To mark the completion of the cherry picking season in July there was the Cherry Fair, an occasion of revelry and celebration.
Most local people would be involved in the cherry picking in one way or another. Ladders up to 30 feet tall and with a wide base for stability were manipulated with ease and skill to reach the tops of the trees.
.

.
Many children (playing truant?) would earn a few pence as "bird starvers", vying with each other to devise and construct rattles and other apparatus that would make as much noise as possible to try to scare blackbirds and starlings away from the rapidly ripening crop.
The last Flackwell Heath cherry orchard was planted in 1889, and none exists today, their sites having all been built on.
With the demise of the orchards the Cherry Fair lapsed, but was revived in 2005 as Flackwell Heath village carnival and fete, and has been held every July since then but is now called the ‘Cherry Fayre‘.
.
.
This years Fayre was on Sunday just gone and by the time I arrived there were no cherries to be seen anywhere!
Never mind, I went there to help out turning Dennis's organ. He had a sore thumb so I did a spot of grinding whilst he had a look around. This is one of the problems with doing a grind on your own - you can't get to walk around. Even a 'comfort' break is difficult to arrange.
.
.
This years theme was "The 1940's" and there was plenty of WW2 memorabilia around including Jones van from the "Dad's Army" series.
.
.
Vintage cars.
And Pony Rides.
.
.
I was not allowed a go - she said it was for children.
And there was me being constantly told that......
"all men are little boys at heart!"
Showing my complete ignorance,
I asked if this chap below was a Welsh pit-pony.
.
.
"No", she said, "He's a Shetland as well".
See, I can't even guess right.
I therefore sort refuge from the heat in the Beer Tent and listened to the jazz from that excellent group called "Rhythm & Booze".
.
.
This was the same group that were in the Amersham Memorial gardens last year.
They are due back in August - must check the date.
.

I liked that, as a pony person, foody, countryside, sunshine and music lover. This post has it all and it looks such fun.
ReplyDeleteYou can be forgiven for thinking the Shetland was a pit pony, except... do they use them still? I don't know.
It is so sad that so many orchards have gone. I like to see local produce. I do love all the summer fruits and like to see harvests of all growing things. Thankfully at least the strawbs and rasps available to buy locally are British, but I do like fresh cherries and although I can find perfectly delicious ripe ones, regrettably they are all imported.
So are you telling me the orchards are all gone? I have a friend who plans to visit your area at the end of April next year. Can she expect to see cherry orchards in full bloom as well as bluebells flowering in the woods?
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
What fun! I did enjoy this post, as you know I lived at Northern Woods for a time. Where was the Cherry Fair?
ReplyDeleteThere used to be a huge cherry orchard up at Cookham Dene, along Grubwood lane, which was sadly "grubbed out" around 1994.
Apparently it is National Cherry day next Saturday so the two events must be connected.
ReplyDeleteMorning Foody:
ReplyDeleteI guessed you might. :)
I took the pony pics, with you & Kath in mind. I don’t think they have used ponies down mines for years now. There used to be ‘pony sanctuaries’ years ago, similar to todays ’donkey sanctuaries’. The pit-ponies were small like that one in the picture.
It is true - all fresh cherries seem to come from Italy I think. I shall do a search to see if there are any English orchards left.
Hi Helen,
Yes, I’m afraid around here the orchards have all gone. However there are plenty of cherry trees around in peoples gardens. As I said to Foody, I shall look around for cherry orchards. There are, however, hundreds of places around this area with bluebells.
Morning Kath:
I didn’t know you lived in Northern Woods. :D Amazing. From 1970 - 1987, I lived in Beckings Way. I then moved to Chapman Lane for five years before ending up here in Bourne End.
The fair is held on the Straight Bit playing field, just up from Budgens.
Hi CherryPie:
I didn’t know that. You had better do a special post about cherries and pie making perhaps? :)
It does seem a bit strange though, having a National Cherry Day - when we no longer grow many cherries in this country. :(
Those are the cutest little fat ponies. They look like the ones in Thelwell's pony books. The little black one especially needs a smooch on the nose.
ReplyDeleteHi Jan,
ReplyDeleteSorry, I forgot you also like 'four legged friends'. Yes they were cute. I'm no expert, Kath and Foody are our 'local' pony experts.
They are all Shetland ponies.
Cheers.....Bernard
Yes, you're right Jan, that's what they reminded me of too!
ReplyDelete