.
Gardening is such thirsty work.
Especially in all this warm weather.
Not only have I had to water my own garden, but also my neighbours who had gone down to the West Country on holiday.
All my pots and his, have needed a good soaking twice a day, and sometimes three.
.
.
Well, he kindly brought me back some very welcome bottles of Cider. "Black Rat" no less.
It said on the back that they have to throw a dead black rat into each brew to get that authentic flavour. The story goes that after a rat fell in and drowned, they noticed an improvement in the fermentation times and also that it gave the cider had a much better taste. I suppose this is where the term "Gives it a bit of body" comes from.
You don't seem to be able to buy "Black Rat" around here so I have to resort to my second best.
.
.
Kath is obviously a fan of Somerset cider and no doubt DD would support the quaffing of Devonshire brews but this one I like, is Hereford cider.
I do also like the Somerset and Devon, but this one above is more available around here. I try not to drink the fizzy supermarket stuff.
The cider's depth and flavours are dictated by the apple varieties used to make it. This varies between counties.
It is really amazing how many different cider apple varieties there are.
Just a few I have unearthed for the three counties mentioned.
Devon
Browns Apple
Long Worthy
Hereford
Broxwood Foxwhelp
Collington Big Bitters
Redstreak
Somerset
Chisel Jersey
Harry Masters Jersey
Morgan Sweet
Kingston Black
Perhaps the "Black Rat" cider I had was made from Kingston Black cider apples?
And still on the subject of rats, I was reading another of Kath's blogs and I was fascinated by this picture of a brown rat and especially, it's foot.
I thought it looked just like a human hand.
.

.
Picture courtesy of Kath (hope you don't mind?)
I had just posted this.
.

.
Isn't nature wonderful?
In case you were taken in -
I made up the bit about throwing dead rats into the cider!
.

You can get completely batted on Black Rat! I can't get it in my mud hut village so I stick to the local brewers cider which is just as lethal.
ReplyDeleteA good tasty post! I am also keen on real ciders and seek them out when in cider areas. I like ot follow those home made cider signs at the sides of the roads which lead to you to ramshackle barns where old blokes with rotten teeth will turn on a barfrel tap and pour your cider into old cooking oil bottles. Hmmm. One of the best I ever had was from a tousle-haired besmocked toothless wonder in the village of Childswickham, Gloucestershire, on the edge of the Cotswolds. There are so many very good reall ciders and they are more easily accessible now than a few years ago.
ReplyDeleteIf I had to choose a favourite mass produced cider I'd choose Taunton Dry Blackthorn. MMMMmmm.
I like the rat's foot/hand comparison too. We're not as dissimilar to animals as most of us think!
DD:
ReplyDeleteI don't know if the bottled stuff is as good as the "gut rot" that pubs serve up. The farmhouse cider from the 'barn out the back' was the stuff for headaches next morning, but at least it wasn't gassy.
Hi Foody:
As I just said to DD, I prefer the still home-made cider to anything fizzy out of a bottle.
I agree, I like the Blackthorn too.
Hello Uncle, I am sitting by my caravan down in Somerset reading about Somerset cider on your Blog :D having just quaffed a very good pint of Hecks (medium blend), poured straight from the wooden cask at the farm a couple of hours ago. Lovely and fruity, not gassy at all. I spotted a small bottle of cider brandy at the farm, that might have to come home with me tomorrow hee hee
ReplyDeleteHey that photo with the rat and the mans hand is eerily similar isnt it? The rat in question is getting bolder, I looked up from my book a couple of days ago and he was looking at me over the step of the patio doors!
Yonks and yonks ago I took a cycling holiday in Somerset, Devon and Dorset, and one hot and sunny day, along the way I (we) encountered "scrumpy" Two old-timers watched us hurling this beverage down our thirsty necks like there was no tomorrow, one remarking to the other "Well, I never seen coider drunk like that afore!" We left the inn, refreshed . . as we thought. 200 yards down the road we were all flat on our backs, the sky spinning, our little leggies kicking in the air, laughing like drains. Powerful stuff, scrumpy . . . not to be messed with!
ReplyDeleteUncle B. Once again you are my last hope! Years ago (in the days of "Breakfast With Wogan" on BBC Radio 2) a hornpipe titled "Spithead" got many airings. YouTube and iTunes haven't been very helpful. Do you know anything about this one?
ReplyDeleteCider is not really popular here but Tony loves it when we go to the UK and we both loved some we tried while in Normandy. It was very refreshing and quite light but we had quite an explosion when we opened a bottle that had rolled around a bit on the way home!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
PS PLEASE no more talk about rats!!!!
Black rat is certainly not a cider I have heard of before. Those hands/feet in the last two pictures do look rather similar!
ReplyDeleteHi Kath,
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely weather you choose to be on hol.:D
Cider brandy is a new one on me. It sounds the sort of thing that you should keep for the winter months. Just back in from walking the dogs - a nice warm fire - and a tot of cider brandy. Or should you try the Brandy before going out?
I know, to be on the safe side - do both!
Hello Doc.
I couldn’t find you blog the last time I looked. I thought you had given up.
I think everyone has a similar tale to tell about scrumpy. I suppose it’s really a sort of ‘apple wine’ with a strength like that. It always amazed me how it got so strong as there can’t be much sugar in cider apples to ferment.
Spithead? I shall look through my books when I have a minute and get back to you.
I have heard of a song called “The Spithead Sailor”, but I don’t think it was a hornpipe.
Morning Helen,
Cider is very much an English drink, as we are good at growing the correct apples.
I believe, the French are best at growing pears, from which they can produce the best Perry, or as it is sometimes called ‘Pear cider’.
Sorry about the rats - they don’t bother me. Mind you I wouldn’t want them in the house!
Hi Cherie,
It was new to me as well.
DD seems to have heard of it though - must be good!
Cheers all......Bernard
Uncle Bernard . . . I found "The Spithead Sailor" That's not the "Spithead" I'm looking for. Any help you give will be most gratefully received.
ReplyDelete