Wednesday, 7 July 2010

The singing Vicar of Bray

.
At secondary school, and I expect also at primary school, the song books were passed around and we all joined in a jolly good sing-song.
Cherry Ripe, Bobby Shafto, My Darling Clementine and somewhere in there would be:-
.
.
In those days I lived a hundred miles from Bray and had no idea where it was, or what this Vicar had been up to.
Now I live only a matter of miles away, and have been through many times by road and river.

The famous Singing Vicar of Bray had a well-known ballad written about him in which he promised to remain the Vicar of Bray, Sir, no matter what religious denomination he had to adopt.
Living under King Henry VIII, King Edward VI, Queen Mary, and Queen Elizabeth, he was first a Papist, then a Protestant, then a Papist, then a Protestant again. He had seen some martyrs burnt (two miles off) at Windsor, and found this fire too hot for his tender temper.
.
.
Old Bray from a painting by A.R.Quinton.

This vicar, being taxed by one for being a turncoat and an inconstant changeling, said,
"Not so, for I always kept my principle, which is this - to live and die the Vicar of Bray".

"And this is law I will maintain
Until my dying day, sir,
That whatsoever King shall reign,
I'll be Vicar of Bray, sir."

Todays Bray, is still fairly attractive, spoilt like most small villages by an increase in traffic.

The most prominent object in the village from the river is the fine old church, close to which stands the vicarage, with trim gardens, and smooth shaven lawns running down to the river. A profusion of fine trees adds to the beauty of the view, and the place is very happily situated at a beautiful bend of the river.
(Here I was going to paste one of my pen & ink drawings - but, do you think I could find it? - Never mind. Another day).
.
.
A very expensive place to live. If I remember correctly, the pubs there only served beer in half pint glasses and made you feel out of place if you turned up without a tie! I can remember the days when Princess Margaret used to frequent the 'posh restaurants' here. They are still there with their rows of Gold Stars outside.

Here's a snippet about The Waterside Inn. Bray.
It was taken from a review in the ‘Torygraph’ :-

“As my wife’s eyebrows descended, so did her jaw. “Good grief,” she murmured. “Oh my.” The set lunch is £69.50 with two glasses of house wine lobbed in, but with the à la carte you’d certainly want something stronger than a harmless rosé from Provence. A poached egg starter is £37, a crème brûlée £29.
However, with its fine floral prints nestling between mirrors, gorgeous flowers, gentle, elegant red carpet and doors opened on to the river and weeping willows beyond, this is a very handsome and gratifyingly unstuffy place in which to eat in summer.
The cheese trolley is spectacular, and the selection of Auvergne cheeses flawlessly kept (a pity, as my mother would say, at £26.50). My “dark equatorial chocolate dessert” with vanilla ice cream was also good, as were the petits fours served with coffee (shame again at £12 a cup). “

“I punched in my PIN without checking the bill, but I’ve now glanced, and despite the set lunch and abstemious boozing, it came to £115 per head.”

The Waterside Inn, Ferry Road, Bray, Berkshire; (waterside-inn.co.uk).

Lunch for two: £230 and....... they only awarded it 6 out of ten!

As you missed out on my pen & ink,
here's a much better picture by Alexander Ansted.
.
.
Shadows of departing day at Bray.
.

8 comments:

  1. Whoa too expensive for this old colonial! Food sounds Ok but too pricey.
    On the matter of the songs you sang at school, we sang a lot of them too but not the Vicar of Bray. Don't remember that one

    ReplyDelete
  2. £37 for poached egg????!!! They're 'avin' a laugh! I do wonder if these places are just taking the mickey and cashing in on the people who like to eat there just to be seen to be going.
    If this was meant to be a review, it tells us precious little except that it was expensive and had a pleasant ambience. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Bray well, my flatmate had a boyfriend working as a chef at Monkey Island. He would turn up at our flat late at night with tit-bits from the kitchen!
    Yesterday, I had a blast fromt the past, as I drove through Flackwell, down Sheepridge lane and into Marlow to visit an old freind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I like to eat in nice restaurants but that is way way above an acceptable price to me.

    The village looks nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep forgetting to ask: Did you have a good dry, warm day for the steam rally on Saturday and did you enjoy yourself? I've been so caked out myself I have neglected to ask. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Helen,
    I expect it is too expensive for everyone reading this ‘poor man’s’ blog, as well.
    The bit on food was me making the point about Bray being an expensive location, not only to live, but also for wining and dining.

    Morning Foody,
    I thought you’d like that. :)
    It was not the complete review - I just took the passages with the prices. It is a good read and if you wish, you can find it here.. www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/restaurants/7838633/Berkshire-restaurant-guide-The-Waterside-Inn-in-Bray-Berkshire.html
    (you need to copy/paste).
    The steam rally was excellent. Thanks. This was the second of the season. I wrote them up last year on the blog. To be honest they don’t vary much from year to year and this year there were no new organs to see, so I didn’t do a new ’write up’.

    Hi Kath:
    I knew you would know about Bray :D
    Just a snippet - of course there is never space when blogging to cover everything. I am drafting out a bit on Monkey Island for a future post. (as this is Monkey Organ Blogspot) :D
    You could have well seen me going down Sheepridge then. I went down at 10:40, on my way to Marlow and then on to Thame. (Market day).

    Hi Cherie:
    OTT for us all Cherry Pie - Well OTT for this pensioner anyway.
    I think this place if for those who like to show off and say, - “Hey look at me; I can afford to eat here” !

    Cheers all......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  7. I probably followed you home, as it was about 12.45pm. The reason I went that way, rather than down the Marlow bypass, was that Id just finished work in Loudwater. It was very enjoyable driving through my old haunts (I used to keep my horse at Flackwell when I first moved to Bucks).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Must have missed you, as I was at Thame until about 3 o'clock.
    I bought my first house in Flackwell way back in 1970.....and do you know, it cost me £5250. A lot of money in those days!

    ReplyDelete