.
I was sitting here this morning thinking,
“What can I write about,
that has absolutely nothing
to do with anything currently in the news!
.
.
So off I went to read the latest from all my friendly bloggers for inspiration. I had a good ‘rake’ around, especially at Esther’s who had been doing an appraisal for a manufacturer of garden tools. Only the other day, down at one of our (three!) local garden centres I noticed how expensive some of these tools can be. I was not shopping for tools, but for a particular flavour of cat food for Hazel. She has this uncanny knack of preferring, nay, demanding the most expensive on the shelf. Her latest fad is for “Cutlets of Sardine & Mackerel with Clams in Jelly”!
Not, of course available at ASDA or Tesco, only up market Pet Stores.
But I digress.
Back to garden tools.
.
.
Wot a load of old rubbish?
The range of prices you can pay for similar items is amazing.
Should I pay £49.99 for a rake with “A Mirror Polished Stainless Steel Head for Rust Resistance and Minimal Soil Adhesion with Weather Proofed Hardwood Shaft for Greater Durability”, or £4.99 for a ‘Garden Rake’?
Actually I wasn’t buying, I was just looking (I daren’t say ‘raking’) around.
I am one of these chaps who makes a thing last, and garden tools are no exception.
I am still using some of my late Father’s tools along with some I bought forty years ago. I am not what Mr Spear or Mr Jackson would describe as a good customer, but I get by.
.

.
A 'Down to Earth' song by a Mr. Q. Kumber :D
When I worked for Plessey, we were based at Taplow Court.
(a subject perhaps for a later post).
Way back, this was the home of Lord and Lady Desborough.
Their neighbours were Lord and Lady Astor living at Cliveden.
Posh area here!
.
.
Tools worth saving?
Anyway, twenty years ago, on closing the site,
everything got sold, given away or relegated to the Biffa.
Needless to say,
I was there - and not a lot ended up in the Biffa!
.
.
"Lord Desborough" burnt on the handle.
Yes, I now have a shed-full of old tools;
my Father’s watering cans are in good company
with Lord Desborough’s ‘Topiary’ Hedge Clippers and hoes!
Those apples, by the way are from my 'Bramley' apple tree.
I can't ever remember seeing them ripen red,
as they have this year.
.
.
A closer peek at those Victorian Labels I rescued from the skip.
.

Even the expensive tools you buy today won't beat the quality of your old ones.
ReplyDeleteThey're lovely and I bet the £4.99 rake won't last half as long. Like the look of the apples too.
ReplyDeleteThe old gardening tools are by far the best. My hubby buys them from car boots and then restores them to their former glory and they're great!
ReplyDeleteI have been referred to as an "old tool" on numerous occasions Bernard, not sure whether to be pleased or insulted.
ReplyDeleteHi Doohie,
ReplyDeleteI reckon the reason most things don't last today is because they are 'Made in China'. I have nothing against the Chinese, but things are not the same as 'Made in England'. :)
At £4.99, Foody, they are not made to last. :(
They are designed to break/pack-up after a certain time, so that we have to go and buy another. :(
Have you seen rosy red Bramleys before? They are a first time for me. :)
Molly, they most definitely are.
I've done what your hubby did once (a lawn edger), but I am a bit short of time these days for too much restoration work.
Angus, don't worry. My Mother always used to say "There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle." Never knew what she meant till I got older! :)
Unless your "G" string is broken Bernard:)
ReplyDeleteI must confess to owning old tools too and they are my favourites.
ReplyDeleteLovely rosy red apples, Bernard.
ReplyDeletePeel an apple
Cut it up,
and cook it in a pot.
When you taste it,
you will find,
it's applesauce you've got!
xx
Wonderful old tools. I find one problem with the old ones though, they're very heavy, too heavy for me. So I use modern lightweight ones which still do the job even though they don't last as long.
ReplyDeleteLovely looking apples - well done!
Kate
Very true Angus, very true. :)
ReplyDeleteCherie:
I can imagine you liking old garden tools: they go well with the old gardens that you so fondly admire. :)
Now Mrs S, that sounds like an old Glasgow skipping rhyme? A bit like :-
"Peas pudding hot, peas pudding cold. Peas pudding in the pot five days old."
Yes Kate, they do tend to be heavy. Those old ones in my shed (in the pic) have Oak handles, all beautifully shaped, but as you say heavy.
Most of the others have Ash handles - a bit lighter, but nothing like todays materials.
I expect years ago, ladies left all the heavy gardening work to the menfolk.
Cheers all......Bernard