.
In 1943, when I had not even reached my first birthday, Dylan Thomas was having his first ideas for a play about a village where everyone had gone slightly mad. This caused concern in London and an inspector was therefore sent down to certify the people collectively. The villagers, in giving their evidence, stated that, in their estimation it is the world, not them, that has gone crazy - a world full of greed, war and violence. The inspector judges them as condemned out of their own mouths.
The play was to be called “The Village of the Mad”. (Later, “The Town was Mad”).
Dylan was not particularly strong on plots and therefore the idea of a plot was abandoned for a lazy, relaxed account of the daily routines of the slightly ’loony’ villagers.
.

.
Dylan Thomas.
He finally got down to writing what we now know as “Under Milkwood” in 1950/51 as he and his family settled down in Laugharne, in South Wales.
.
.
His Laugharne boathouse home.
Its first performance was at the Fogg Museum at Harvard, in May 1953, when the author read the whole play in solo performance. Later that month a recording was made in New York, but this time with a cast.
At this stage some of the poems and songs were still to be written.
The BBC’s recorded production was planned for the 24th January 1954, with Dylan playing First Voice.
It was not to be,
as Dylan Thomas died on the 9th November 1953,
fifty seven years ago today.
The recording however, went ahead, with Richard Burton taking Dylan’s part as First Voice.
Although his live recording of “Under Milkwood” in New York contained a little music, - an unaccompanied Polly Garter song and the children’s pieces - there was evidence that Dylan had been thinking of a much greater musical content.
Therefore the two songs “Johnny Crack and Flossie Snail”, and the Polly Garter’s song were included in the BBC recording with music written by Dr Daniel Jones.
.
.
My original box cover.
In 1969 I bought a boxed set of this original 1954 vinyl recording and think I may just give it a ’spin’ tonight.
Sing to me Polly.
I loved a man whose name was Tom,
He was strong as a bear and two yards long.
I loved a man whose name was Dick,
He was big as a barrel and three feet thick;
And I loved man whose name was Harry,
Six feet tall and sweet as a cherry.
But the one I loved best, a-wake or a-sleep,
Was little Willy Wee and he's six feet deep.
{Chorus}
Oh, Tom Dick and Harry were three fine men,
And I'll never have such loving again.
But little Willy Wee, who took me on his knee;
Little Willy Wee is the man for me.
Now men from every Parish around,
Run after me and roll me to the ground;
But whenever I love another man back,
Johnny from the Hill, or sailing Jack;
I always think as they do as they please
Of Tom Dick or Harry who were tall as trees.
And most of all, I think when I am by their side,
Of Little Willy Wee who drowned and died.
{Chorus)
Now when the farmers boys on the first fair day,
Come down from the hills to drink and be gay.
Before the sun sinks I'll lie there in their arms,
For they're good bad boys from the lonely farms;
But I always think as we tumble into bed,
Of little Willy Wee who is dead, dead, dead.
But I always think as we tumble into bed,
Of little Willy Wee who is dead, dead, dead.
Oh, Tom Dick and Harry were three fine men,
And I'll never have such loving again;
But I always think as we tumble into bed,
Of little Willy Wee who is dead, dead, dead
And to finish off with a bit of music,
I managed to find a rendition of just the first verse for you.
.
.
".........it is the world, not them, that has gone crazy -
- a world full of greed, war and violence."
I don't think they were 'far off the mark', do you?
.

What an interesting post Uncle. I have to agree, the "loony" villagers weren't far off the mark.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kath, I do try to make my bit interesting, but of couse we can't please all of the people, all of the time.
ReplyDeleteHow does that old saying go?
"The whole world is mad, except for me and thee.
And sometimes I often think thee a little daft."
Only joking! :D
Mad? try a week at the Castle Bernard:)
ReplyDeleteAngus, I call in at 'the Castle' twice a day, to see how things are. Seems OK to me. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's not us Angus, 'tis them!
It is in days like these, I am reminded of those words by Enoch Powell, "We must be mad".
I'm (slowly)reading Powell's biography at the moment as it happens, but haven't got to that bit yet.
Don't forget to get on your bike Bernard:)
ReplyDeleteI thought it was Norman Tebbit that said that?
ReplyDeleteAnother chap I admire. He has a good blog in the Torygraph which attracts loads of comments. :)
Now if I had a house on stilts, such as Dylan Thomas had in in Laugharne, I might have been inspired to write, but I'd never have been able to write anything as clever as Mr Thomas.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful spot Mrs S., but a wee bit exposed for me.
ReplyDeleteWales is famous for its wind and rain. :(
A wonderful poet, he was. It's a pity he died before recording Under Milkwood - well his whole death was tragic really, wasn't it. If I had a TARDIS he's one person (when sober) I'd love to meet.
ReplyDeleteKate
I did have a book of his poetry, but have to admit, it was not quite me. I didn't quite 'connect' with it as much as I did with 'Milkwood'. I never tire of listening to this.
ReplyDeleteA good post, Bernard. Did you see that film about DT that came out a couple of years ago? FOrgotten the name but I saw it. I enjoy Under Milk Wood too.
ReplyDeleteGood to see you are on the ball Bernard, but didn't Thomas "like to hurtle down the hill on his bicycle to the Mumbles, the fishing village at the western end of Swansea Bay, where he learnt to drink in pubs such as The Antelope."?
ReplyDeletehttp://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/article6556934.ece
Thank you Foody. :)
ReplyDeleteNot having a telly, I would have missed that. :(
I don't actually know a lot about him, only what I have read from the sleeve notes on my recordings.
However, Angus has just popped up a link (for which I thank him) and have just read. :)
Cheers Angus, that was an interesting read. I need to read up a bit more on the Swansea area as my Grandfather was born and brought up there. I must have a 'hint' of Welsh blood in me. :(
Only a 'hint', mind you. :)
Nobody's perfect bernard:)
ReplyDeleteThank you for this interesting post.
ReplyDeleteI learned English by immersion, in my twenties, so that I could read your great poets in the original language. Poetry translations are betrayals! Dylan was one of my favourites. He spoke to me. And presently, as I grow in age (but not necessarily in wisdom) I connect deeply with what he wrote for his father:
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Claude,
ReplyDeleteThank you for your nice comment. There is not much room on blogs to say all you want to say, and I have to trim things down a bit. Your English is very good and as you say, poetry is always best read in the original language.
I have to admit, I never quite understood all of Dylan's work and I just have a 'soft spot' for Under Milkwood.
My all-time favourite poet is John Betjeman.
Thank you very much, Bernard, for introducing John Betjeman, a fascinating and colourful poet. Just read Westminster Abbey, and a few more very original poems. I'm going to enjoy his company. Best regards!
ReplyDeleteHi Claude,
ReplyDeleteHe lived not far from here in London and later Berkshire, so many of his poems are about places I know. So much nicer, when you know what someone is writing about I think.
Regard....Bernard