.
I have had a request.
Nay, I have had two requests,
but for the same thing.
The first song just had to be Kathy's Song
from
.

.
I have the music, and have arranged it for the organ,
but try as I might,
I couldn't find the sheet music with a cover.
Now Rainbows are easy and songs and covers
are found not only in my music cupboard
but all over the 'net'.
This I suppose is the most well known:-
.

.
A bit too popular for me, but there is a nice version here from 1955.
I like to go after the unusual and preferably old.
(that includes Grandma's as well.)
So I have chosen:-
"There's a Rainbow round my Shoulder."
.
.
and
"I'm always chasing Rainbows"
(when I can't Grab-a-Granny.)
"I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" is a popular song. The music is credited to Harry Carroll, although the melody is actually adapted from Fantaisie-Impromptu by Frédéric Chopin. The lyrics were written by Joseph McCarthy, and the song was published in 1917 and introduced in the Broadway show Oh, Look! which opened in March, 1918. The song was sung in the show by The Dolly Sisters and was subsequently featured in a movie entitled The Dolly Sisters, released in September, 1945.
.

.
I wonder if this is the origin of
"Dolly Birds"?
I also found this copy, but it is from a different show.
"Goody Two Shoes".
I can't find much about it.
.

.
And to finish, my favourite
and, I'm afraid,
the
'Story of my life'.
"Waiting to find a little Bluebird, in vain."
.
.
"Why have I always been a failure?
What can the reason be?
I wonder if the World's to blame.
I wonder if it could be me?"
.

Oh you are kind to your neices Uncle B. And how did you know I love that Simon and Garfunkle song? I did smile at the thought of you "going after Grandmas" hee hee. I think we girls should take it in turns to suggest a theme and challenge you to produce music and songs to match. Or maybe I've just got too much time on my hands now we ditched the TV :D
ReplyDeleteAnyway thankyou kindly, dear Uncle Bernard for my musical rainbow tribute.
Good evening Uncle B....yes...i agree with Kath...you are nice to all of us..you always make such an affort to find and show us something to smile about and let us listen to some beautiful music... i love the Judy Garland song...and thank you for the lovely comment on my "Fat Fairy"..and as i am looking at her now on my desk..she lookes a bit silly with those wings....but as you wrote...she is cute...i always go for the primpatterns...hope you will find that song one day...i like the title allready....
ReplyDeleteGreetings Francien.
I'm in a singing mood too! Uncle B thank you for the rainbow songs! Today is murky, sloshy, dirge-y, dark and cold. Nothing like a bit of good music to cheer us all up!
ReplyDeleteKath, I didn't actually know that S&G song was your favourite. It was the only song with 'Kath' in the title. There were plenty of 'Kathleens' though. :D
ReplyDeleteI think you will find that there is a song somewhere about almost anything. I found one on 'Black Pudding' the other day. :)
Good Morning Francien,
I'm glad you liked my efforts. :D
I already have that song "No one Loves a Fairy when she's Forty". It was sung by Gracie Fields. I shall have to dig it out.
Actually, your fairy was really a 'Christmas Angel' wasn't she? I like my Fairies and Angels to be 'round & tubby'. :)
Not keen on all these little skinny ones.
Hi Molly,
The only trouble I have with popping up these songs - is that they stay in my head all day and I go to bed still humming them! :)
Cheers all - thanks....Bernard.
Do you remember The Goodies sang about "Black pudding Bertha" :D
ReplyDeleteYes, that's the one I have Kath. :D
ReplyDeleteI'm going to do a 'Foody Songs' post when I get the time. I've started a list.
Oh, yes please! Foody songs!
ReplyDeleteI don' think I know any of these in your post. I MUST know Kathy's song. If I knew what the first line was, I'm sure I would recognise it.
I got to see Simon and Garfunkel in concert just after they'd made that first album. It was just the two of them with Simon's acoustic guitar. What a treat! Their voices were pure and simple. I'm still a great fan, but I'm not as fond of their electric stuff. This morning I have "Feelin' Groovy" floating around in my brain.
ReplyDeleteOh what a lovely collection of rainbows. No need to chase them any more because you have gathered them all up for us to enjoy ;-)
ReplyDeleteFoody:
ReplyDeleteWill do my best. :)
You do know "Kathy's Song" I bet.
I hear the drizzle of the rain
Like a memory it falls
Soft and warm continuing
Tapping on my roof and walls.
And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To England where my heart lies.
My mind's distracted and diffused
My thoughts are many miles away
They lie with you when you're asleep
And kiss you when you start your day.
And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme.
And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you.
And as I watch the drops of rain
Weave their weary paths and die
I know that I am like the rain
There but for the grace of you go I.
I expect you can find it on YouTube. :)
Jan:
I agree, those early days were best. In fact, it applies to most singers. They start out - you like them - buy their records - and the they go and change their style, or as you say "go electric" and spoil everything. :(
My favourites have to be "I am a Rock" and of course "Bridge Over Troubled Waters". :)
CherryPie:
I found loads of references to rainbows in songs. My problem was picking out just a few.
Of course I chose the one's I like. :)