.
To the north of me lurks Wycombe!
To the east there’s awful Slough:
A little south lies Maidenhead,
It’s the West, that calls me now.
And so it is, that most of my ‘Days Out’ take me off upstream to appealing places like Marlow, Henley, Dorchester, Thame and Wallingford.
I used to live in, and quite liked, Maidenhead, but forty years ago it was a town of character, now missing. I have never felt attracted to Wycombe and my feelings for Slough are not un-similar to those of John Betjeman -
“Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough.
It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death !"
I read every day about ‘The Western World’,
about ‘Western Culture’ and ‘Western Values’.
So, where is the west, and is there a dividing line circling the globe?
East on one side, west on t’other.
Well, there are pages and pages on Wikipedia, but I like to think back to my
schooldays when, on opening my old school atlas, the east was on the right hand page and the west was on the left.
.
.
My old Atlas.
There was a fold down the middle and it was always annoying to not be able to read names of places ‘on the fold’.
In those days I assumed anything to the left of the Greenwich Meridian was in the West.
It is also fascinating to notice how, in literature and song, that the West is portrayed as place of peace, a place of rest and a place of kindness and good.
.
.
Of course, there are far too many references to this ubiquitous place ‘west’ to mention here.
I have often wondered which countries Australians consider in the west? For example, to us the USA is firmly in the west, but surely to them it is east across the Pacific.
And where to them is the ‘Far East’?
To me, there is only one west. A place of many wonderful holidays as a child. This is our very own ’West Country’. Here in England, usually meaning the counties of Devon and Cornwall.
.
.
My old book of West Country songs.
Then, over at the extreme left of my atlas page,
is what us lads referred to as the ‘Wild West’,
with cowboys and covered wagons.
One of our favourites singers from those early days being Tex Ritter.
.
.
Yes, I still have the LP.
One of my favourite tales comes from the pen of J.R.R. Tolkien.
His ‘Men of the West’,
his Elves going off to the west,
the ‘West’ - the realms and peoples opposed to Sauron (evil)
and favouring virtue and the Dunedin (good).
The West it is then.
Oh! And by the way, 'I am Spartacus'.
.


I love that picture :-) West is best.
ReplyDeleteYou know Bernard, we Aussies have been bought up as a little outpost of England so to us the "Far East" is China even though it is not far and not east !!
ReplyDeleteOther than that I think everything is so far away you can get there by going east or west so we don't think about it too much. In fact lots of Aussies travelling overseas get a "round the world " ticket. The distances we need to travel to get to the rest of the world are huge so you may as well see as much as you can while you are away.
I've read on blogs about people having a cottage in the west Country for a weekend getaway from London but never thought they travelled to Cornwall for the weekend. I thought perhaps they went to somewhere in the vacinity of Bath.
I hope you all appreciate how lucky you are to be so close to Europe and all its attractions.
Cheers
Helen
The West as a concept is as Wikipedia in your link. But going west is inland from Sydney for us or even as far as Perth. :) Gone west is also an expression that means something is irretrievably lost.
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed that you still have your old atlas (and a Tex Ritter LP).
Hi Bernard. I'm catching up on friends/places I haven't visited in a long time. My 3 were all born when the British Empire had all but disappeared - but I made sure they saw atlases showing the red-rash on which the sun never set.
ReplyDeleteAll good wishes
FTSE
Hi Eliza,
ReplyDeleteIt was Boscastle in Cornwall. :)
Morning Helen,
I never thought of that - it is a long flight to your nearest neighbours. :(
I don't like the thought of long flights.
The traditional West Country would have been Devon and Cornwall, but a few close counties to them have wanted to join 'the club'. For example, I expect you can get 'West Country Cider' from Somerset, whereas I have always considered it was made in Devon.
Thanks for that info Kate.
"Gone West" - I like that, I may use it myself.
You would be surprised what I have hidden around here. For years I have not thrown old bits out.....but, I am making a start to thin it out now. A lot of old records are being converted to CD's and DVD's as they take up less space. I shall, however be keeping the atlas. :)
Hello Doc.
I did wonder what you were up to?
I pop into read CJ Duffy et al every now and then. :)
Ah, yes, the red countries of the atlas.
Of course, not only has the red gone, but many of the names have gone as well. :(
Names like the Gold Coast.
I was going to post that picture up larger so that you could click on it to enlarge, but it gobbles up so much Mbytes. :(
Bernard, did you know they had the Chilterns as the featured area on Countryfile on BBC 1 yesterday? There were great pictures of autumn trees and an attracive valley I assume was the Thames.
ReplyDeletei think of 'the west country' as including Dorset and Somerset but it's a littl relative. I suppose Dorset is in Hardy's Wessex so that's why, but I don't really know much about the definition.
Born and brought up in the east of Britain, I still think of the sea is being eastwards and still have to re-orientate myself as I travel about.
Your last pic looks a very typical little westerly place.
Thanks Foody, I'll look at iPlayer and see what's going. :)
ReplyDeleteIn the good old days, only Devon and Cornwall were true 'West Country'. As you say Holiday Cottages in Dorset & Somerset are now counted in as well. I was going to do a post about the 'cold east', the 'warm westerly's' and the perceived good and evil......but I guess it didn't work out right. :(
Last pic was Boscastle in Cornwall.
I think of Devon and Cornwall as the West Country but, living in Dorset, get confused because I certainly don't live in the East and mid-south coast isn't a recognised region. It puzzles me too that the North East of England is way far north of 'The North' of England.
ReplyDeleteEsther
Esther,
ReplyDeleteThank you for calling in.
It is uncanny, but I have only just got back from reading your excellent appraisal for Bulldog tools. In fact it gave me inspiration for today's blog. Thanks.
From Dorset, both Cornwall & Devon are west but I see loads of 'West Country Holiday' homes firmly in Somerset and Dorset. The advertisers think it sounds better. All my holidays over the last twenty years, have been in 'Self Catering West Country Cottages' in Dorset or Devon. (I love that bit of coastline) :)
I believe the 'North' starts at Watford Gap!
(or so I'm told)
Cheers......Bernard.
(Swanage Rail enthusiast!)