Wednesday, 9 September 2009

Photo Gallery Day

.
A few 'car-free' photos from the Hambleden valley.
.
.
A pretty little cottage home at the side of the church.

.
.
Cobstone Windmill - from Turville churchyard.

.
.
Turville - Village green, village church, the Bull & Butcher inn and red-tiled cottages.

.
.
At Turville there is a diversity in the cottages, timbered, flint and brickwork, thatched and tiled, all very pleasing.


.
.
Just look at those tiny windows in the upper rooms.


.
.
I am informed..... "the church is Decorated and Perpendicular, but has a doorway showing transitional features from Norman to Early English"

.
.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely looking village, such interesting cottages and stonework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernard, I'm wondering if these pictures seem so wonderful to me just because I'm mostly surrounded by buildings that are new and thrown together. Even the old buildings here in California (except for the Spanish missions) don't have the same sense of character and permanence as those in your pictures. Do you get jaded seeing all these lovely things, or do you find them as enchanting as I do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cherie,
    This is exactly why they are used so much in film sets, these two are a couple of the best in the county.
    (Buckinghamshire)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I love old buildings and tend to search them out to photograph. It is not like this all over England. As I said to Cherie, these two are the best. We have competitions here for the "Best Kept Village" and "Village in Bloom", so these are the ones that get into the 'spotlight'.
    I was brought up in and around Worcestershire and Warwickshire. Stratford-on Avon was a 'local' picnic spot for us as children.
    We grew up to appreciate these fine old buildings. A lot of these small villages have escaped the 'march of progress' and remained very much the same. Sixty or seventy years ago many of them would not have had electricity or even running water.
    I still find them enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the crookedness of the cottages, they're so quaint

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Valerie,
    I don't mind crooked chimneys but not too keen on crooked houses!
    There used to be a song on that?
    "There was a crooked man....and something about a crooked mouse and they all lived together in a very crooked house"
    Gosh....that was sixty years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am I right in thinking this is where the Vicar of Dibley was filmed? Kath

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest I don't know. But the area is always being used in some film or another. You could well be right.
    Cheers....Bernard

    ReplyDelete