In a bit of a rush today!
Just off to Kidderminster area for a bit of a family 'do'. In fact a double Birthday party.
So I need something quick and I was going to pop theses up last week on the tomato post but couldn't find them.
.

.
I found the picture of the rabbit tomato in the papers, and it was one of the best I had seen.
My crop this year produced some strange shapes but none of them seemed to resemble anything on this planet. I wonder what causes them to go off into these unusual shapes?
.
.
Oh, well, it's back to making chutney again on Sunday!
.
.
Whilst on the subject of chutneys, have you ever tried pickled nasturtium seeds?
It has been a good year for these also. They taste very similar to watercress with that peppery flavour. A bit like capers.
.
You need to sort out the small juicy ones from the old 'woody' ones.
Only pickle the small ones.
Those on the plate will be used for next years seed.
.
.

I have never tried nasturtium seeds, they sound interesting.
ReplyDeleteO/T Just in case you have tried to access my blog and got an error message, it is because there is a problem on the server and I am waiting for them to fix it.
ReplyDeleteI have tried several times and it worked a couple of minutes ago from a link on DD site. Then it went again!
ReplyDeleteSome people eat nasturtium leaves in salads and I believe you can also eat the flowers. Try them...a bit peppery mind you.
I've heard you can eat nasturtium flowers too.
ReplyDeleteI remembered that I had a recipe for tomato curry. It dates from the days when curries were only ever made with curry powder but I'll give you it when I've got it beside the computer. You can experiment with real spices.
Hi Foody, I'm glad you spotted this bit. As a foodie, I thought you may have tried them? Seeds, leaves or flowers.
ReplyDeleteYou said above 'tomato curry'. Did you mean tomato chutney using real individual spices rather than commercial curry powder?
Sounds great....bring it on.