.
I don't usually wander around the garden looking up, but this morning I was looking up at the apples on the tree by the greenhouse when I noticed this.
.
.
One of the tomatoes had gone clean out through the roof vent and was happily on its way to heaven, complete with trusses of tomatoes!
It's not been a bad year for tomatoes here.....in fact I've got more than I know what to do with.
.
.
These are the 'Gardener's Delight'. Cherry tomatoes under glass.
Whilst out on the "back yard" as we used to say before moving south to "patio" country, the three bush varieties were sagging under the weight.
.
.
Tomatoes, tomatoes everywhere......and fourteen bowls of soup.
(In the freezer)
.
.
I must try my hand at something else next year.
Miss Lettuce has the biggest heart
In all the kitchen garden.
Be sure to pick her in her prime,
For if she isn’t caught in time
Her heart is apt to harden.
You’ll find her at her best, ...I mean
When she is young, and fresh....and green.
.

If you put the tomatoes through a juicer, and then cook them with sugar, vinegar and spices you end up with a sauce that adds so much flavour to stews, casseroles and sauces you would not believe.. I am envious of your harvest... me I cannot grow tomatoes to save my life..xx
ReplyDeleteMaybe you could fit another freezer somewhere. Or put a sign at your gate selling them. Would an honesty box work where you are?
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so envious! We can't get decent tomatoes at all this year. We don't grow our own and had to pay $2 each at a farm stand for anything near edible. Our neighbors have many on their plants but they won't ripen this year...fried GREEN tomatoes anyone?
ReplyDeleteI must try that next year - I'm not a good planner, and always leave it too late :-)
ReplyDeleteThe tomato plant that ventured through the roof vent looks sturdy enough to reach heaven. What a great harvest, I wouldn't know what to do with so many.
ReplyDeleteWell, "blow me down" as my old gran used to say!
ReplyDeleteI did this post in a rush this morning... and it generates lots of interest. Thank you all.
Sage, your idea is interesting but wouldn't the vinegar be a bit strong in some dishes? Sounds a bit like tomato chutney.
I already have two freezers Foody.
The oldest was a bit small, so I bought a larger one. However the little one has kept going
(25 years) and refuses to pack up!
Deb/Eliza, Start them off in doors in March and then try growing them on your patio/decking in pots. You only need a couple of plants.
Valerie...I always thought the WI could make use of everything.
How about pickles and tomato chutney (red & green)?
I make soup and freeze it.
Thank you all for your comments.
That is a fine harvest and the cherry tomatoes look especially tasty :-)
ReplyDeleteOut of the three varieties I grew this year, they turned out not only to be the tastiest, but they also had the thinnest skins. (I hate tough skinned tomatoes, like the supermarkets sell during the winter months)
ReplyDelete