Tuesday, 29 December 2009

Bread, Coal, Salt & a Green Branch

.
.
The first person across the threshold on the first day of the New Year is traditionally of great symbolic significance.
In certain parts of the country the very worst omen would be the accidental arrival of a woman on the doorstep. However, here in Buckinghamshire, if a fellow happens to find a woman on his doorstep at 12 o’clock, he can count himself extremely lucky!
So in order to avoid any unsuitable ‘First Footers’ a dark haired handsome man had to be found, although I’m told that in Lincolnshire and Northumberland, a fair haired man would bring sufficient luck to the house in the coming year.
It was possible to increase the luck if the ‘tall dark handsome’ gentleman carried a lump of coal and a hunk of bread; this was to ensure warmth and plenty for the year to come. I would have thought that with todays heating costs, fifteen hundredweight of coal would have been a more welcome gift.
If you wanted the ‘belt and braces’ approach to luck, the gentleman should also bring a green branch and some salt. The branch to symbolise life and salt to ensure wealth??
Today things have changed a bit and we are now told that salt leads to an early grave!
Naturally, this custom was accompanied with much festive food and wine.

I'm not sure if there was any special music or songs associated with the English version of this custom; I haven't come across any. But I did come across this very unusual New Years card.

.
.
"With Blessing New, May Each New Year Enrich Thee".

I shall be waiting up at midnight on Thursday for a bit of 'enrichment'.
.

7 comments:

  1. My late family all used to open the front and back doors to the house at the strike of midnight to let the old year out and the New Year in. We used to visit friends and family with a piece of bread and lump of coal. None of us washed clothes on New Years day as it was considered to be washing away your luck for the ensuing year, or washing away one of your family.

    I still open the doors and I never do any washing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest DD, I can't remember that far back. As children we didn't stay up and went bed as normal. In my teens I was in a youth club and they held a party till gone midnight. At midnight we were all out on Bournville village green in a huge circle around the 'Rest House' and the bells on the school carillon played out the old and played in the new. Very traditional. I'll put up some pictures of the old village and I have also found old recordings of the bells on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always did the going out of the back door and coming in through the front door at midnight. Just to avoid bad luck for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All year I've been amazed at how many traditions we all share. I've never heard of these, however. I imagine there will be a few tall, handsome fellows who will show up after midnight to sleep on my living room couches after the party Bob and his friends are attending nearby. I might even get one of them to stick a slice of bread in his pocket, but COAL? I don't think you can buy coal in California. I think you'd have to go at least 1000 miles away to find any. Would BBQ charcoal suffice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cherie, I hope you had that 'tall, dark handsome man' at the front of your line-up?

    I expect the coal was used because here, virtually every house had a coal fire years ago. As it was to symbolise warmth, I'm sure charcoal would 'fit the bill'. Thinking back, I expect all the old steam trains in California were fired by wood logs?
    Won't you be at the party too? You can't see in the New Year on you own.

    Best Wishes for the New Year to you all........Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do cats count? I'm never alone in this house. Two of the cats have people names. One of them is on my lap right now, keeping me warm. I do use wood to heat the house. Or cats. Most people in California use gas or electricity. I guess they would need a gassy stranger carrying a battery at their front door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They certainly do Jan. When people ask me "Do you live alone?"
    No, I say I have four cats...or I have three cats.....or as now, I have two cats, Hazel and Wesley. Mine used to fight over my lap but as they have got older they seem to prefer getting as close to a radiator as possible.
    After all a radiator doesn't keep getting up and making a cup of tea or needing to go to the loo!

    ReplyDelete