.
I was just reading all the moans in the papers about the fact there were going to be over 600 repeats on the telly this Christmas.
“This Christmas, almost 600 hours will be shown on the four main terrestrial channels. The BBC will screen re-runs of Dad's Army, Morecambe and Wise, Only Fools and Horses and Blackadder. “
Isn’t it a pity that so many people have to rely on someone else to entertain them all the time. We all need a good Show every-now-and-then and some form of entertainment but 600 hours of repeats!
Our ancestors had one enormous advantage …… they made their own entertainment, and most of that entertainment was music.
.
.
The CD player is no substitute; there is little to do with CD’s once you have played them, except play them again.
With live, home-made music on the other hand, the variety is practically infinite.
Piano solos, duets, carols, comic songs, rounds, recitations, however amateurishly performed will be more exciting than pre-recorded entertainments.
To the Victorians, Christmas meant sorting through the music stool for the well-tried favourites, and visits to the local dealers for this years latest novelties.
.
In many of the homes, where among the families of those who could afford one, the parlour piano was the focal point of social life.
Music evenings, always popular with the Victorians, came into their own at Christmas and a whole new repertoire of domestic music came into existence.
Ezra Read produced dozens of "Descriptive Fantasias" which were very popular in his time, especially at Christmas. I have many of his works in the collection. Here's a couple for Christmas.
.
.
Not only was music confined indoors in Victorian life; Many writers have left vivid descriptions of the waits preparing their annual onslaughts of carols.
Together with the armies of organ-grinders and other itinerant musicians who crowded the streets, Christmas shopping must have been an ear-splitting occupation.
Present-day supermarket ’seasonal’ tape recordings would make Rudolph’s nose pale into insignificance by comparison.
"A Winters Tale"
On Christmas eve, a little old lady was sitting in front of the fire with her faithful old Tom cat on her lap.
Suddenly there was flash, a bang and in a cloud of smoke a Fairy appeared out of the fire.
“Little old lady,” she said, “During the last year you have been good and kind to everyone and I am going to grant you three wishes. What would you like?”
When she had recovered from the shock the little old said, “First, I would like to be financially secure and live in a nice house for the rest of my life.”
The fairy waved her wand and the room was transformed into a luxurious drawing room and on the table were bags of gold.
“Next wish, please” she said.
“Please make me young and beautiful,” said the little old lady, and she was immediately turned into a glamorous blonde. “For my third wish, will you please turn my Tom cat into a handsome young man?”
Immediately, standing before her was a fine specimen of manhood who stepped forward and took the lady’s hand, kissed it saying,
“Aren’t you sorry now that you took me to the vet?”
.

Arg! Don't mention DIY at Christmas, all our major destructions have taken place over Christmas, as it's the only time Husband can be in the country for 2consecutive weeks. This years entertainment consists of my kitchen being removed and the plaster board ceiling panels being pulled down. With no cooking facilities and all downstairs furniture piled in one room, it'll be dust for breakfast, dinner and tea- Happy Holidays!
ReplyDeleteGetting together for a sing song is always much more fun than I CD :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you very much for the jokes!
ReplyDeleteCurrently on train to Vivaldi Gloria in St Andrews and it cheered me up no end!
I spend most of xmas at the piano (trumpet gets a break), as I find it entertaining. My siblings join in. Occasionally we invite the Olds to participate also. Usually classy stuff, songs from the shows or some xmas tunes.
'Gone are the Days' comes to mind.
ReplyDeleteI won't be watching television (never do) so the repeats don't bother me, but I guess there are people who spend Christmas alone who will rely on it for companionship.
Happy Christmas to you.
Now that's what I call Christmas!!I wouldn't even mind the reruns,most of them are much funnier than the rubbish produced nowdays.Bring back Eric and Ernie!!!More of it!!! And more real music played by real people.
ReplyDelete"...no cooking facilities"?
ReplyDeleteCold turkey sandwiches from M&S then Kath.....washed down with red wine ..... cold Mince pies and cheese and biscuits...all served up in the workshop? Sounds alright to me!
You start, Cherie, I'll join in!
Hello TC. Glad you liked them. They were supposed to be bad jokes, as it was the title of your blog that caught my eye. Then when I read that you had just played Bach's Christmas Oratorio in Edinburgh, I guessed you must have been busking on Princes Street? (joking).
Songs from the Shows. Excellent, many of my favourites.
You are like me Val, I never watch any telly, although I expect I shall have to endure some when visiting other's houses. Happy Christmas to you as well. (Are you going away for Christmas?)
Hi Liz, I much prefer those old shows. I have loads on video and still enjoy the true humour that used to make us, well me at least, laugh. Can't see anything funny in todays 'alternative comedy'.
What a lot of comments. Thank you all......Bernard
Staying home, just we two, although out for Christmas lunch at Moor Hall, a local hotel. We do that every year.
ReplyDeleteYou might like to read my 'Christmas Reading'
http://tinyurl.com/ydzcty8
You read my mind Bernard!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I love this post. I'm also an oldie. You revived such good memories. Those Christmas evenings, in my childhood, were so precious. My older sister (who is now 92) would sit at the piano, and everyone would join in with singing. The best voices would do a solo. At one point, we would roll the carpet, and do square dancing. What fun for the very young child allowed to be with the grown-ups. They didn't have to send me early to bed because of bad language and scenes, as they present, today, on TV.
ReplyDeleteA good joke. Thanks. Best Wishes!
ReplyDeleteHi Claudia, I do apologise for missing your comment yesterday. I always get a bit behind in going back to look over my previous posts. It's very nice of you to drop in and leave me a nice comment.
ReplyDeleteI have a huge collection of music from 70 odd years ago and nearly all of it has the original owners name on it. I find names like Edith and Olive written at the top. Nearly always ladies, I notice. Perhaps not many of us men took to piano playing in those days.
We didn't have a piano when I was young although my grandparents did.
We did however play lots of games at parties and at Christmas...no TV in those days.
Cheers......Bernard