.
Mistletoe, Viscum album, is an epiphytic semi-parasite.
That’s a mouthful for a start! In other words, it lives on other trees and at least partly depends upon them for its source of nutrients. It has special roots, haustorias, which grow into the host tree and tap into the woody layer that lies beneath the bark .
I’m told that you are much more likely to see mistletoe in the wetter west of Britain than in the ‘drier’(?) east, as mistletoe requires quite plenty of water to flourish.
The biggest source of British mistletoe for the Christmas market comes from one giant sale in Tenbury Wells, on the Shropshire/Herefordshire border, to which all the local farmers bring great bundles of mistletoe to auction off as a nice little Christmas earner.
.

.
Mistletoe's connection with Christmas, like so many seasonal traditions, originates in our pagan past. It was always known to have played an important part in the rituals of the Druids.
It was believed that a sprig of mistletoe protected the house from goblins and sorcery, which were most threatening at the time of the winter solstice – 21 December.
It was always considered unlucky to decorate the house with mistletoe before Christmas Eve, although I have heard that in the west of England the old bunch remains untouched until the new one is brought in to replace it.
Kissing under the mistletoe is peculiar to Britain but I have been unable to find out the origin of this custom. Maybe it is simply a remnant of fertility rites.
This following song is allegedly based on a true story.
.
.
"The mistletoe hung in the castle hall,"
During the Wedding Feast of a young and beautiful girl to handsome nobleman, it was suddenly noticed that the bride was missing (the song suggests the guests were playing hide-and-seek).
"I'm weary of dancing now" she cried:
"Here tarry a moment I'll hide - I'll hide!"
.
.
They sought her that night! and they sought her next day!
And they sought her in vain when a week passed away!
Years flew by until....
At length an oak chest, that had long lain hid,
Was found in the castle - they raised the lid -
And a skeleton form lay mouldering there,
In the bridal wreath of that lady fair!
It is claimed that in the vaults of a solicitor's office in Bristol, can still be found the remains of an old oak chest bearing the inscription...
" This is the Original Chest of the Song THE MISTLETOE BOUGH"
Just when you need Health & Safety, they are nowhere to be seen!
.

Fab post! I was wondering the same as you and just found this "For its supposedly mystical power mistletoe has long been at the center of many folklore. One is associated with the Goddess Frigga. The story goes that Mistletoe was the sacred plant of Frigga, goddess of love... The spirit of this old myth was taken into a Christian way of thinking and accept the mistletoe as the emblem of that Love which conquers Death". So, pucker up Bernard :D
ReplyDeleteA good post!
ReplyDeleteWe are all being told that too much mistletoe is being cut, then on Countryfile last week they said it's good to cut it because it will eventually kill the host tree. Seems like a case for "everything in moderation". Cut some and leave some is probably best.
I really love bad jokes.
ReplyDeleteAnd the mistletoe info was new to me despite my Britishness.
Sausages and mash is pretty good grub.
Great post!What a wealth of information!
ReplyDeleteOut here we have some native mistletoes and have to make do with that if we want to banish house goblins.Happy Chritmas!
I remember seeing the mistletoe in the trees on my recent visits to France :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for that Kath. Saved me looking it up.
ReplyDeleteIt does, or would eventually kill the tree as you say Foody. So I'm all in favour of cutting some off.
Hi TC. I'm glad you like 'bad' jokes. You may find plenty here. I'll have to start a new tag "Bad Jokes".
Most of these here are for Foody who is making her own Crackers this year and wanted a few jokes to put inside them.
Thanks Liz. Glad you found it interesting. I'm surprised you have mistletoe in Australia as it prefers wet climates.
I expect they use that for "French Kissing" then Cherie???
I really enjoyed this!
ReplyDeleteHi RBVJD,
ReplyDeleteI'd lost you....I can't get your site to open. I thought you may have given up. Welcome....and glad you likes it
Cheers......Bernard