.
I bet the blogs this morning are awash with pictures of back gardens knee-deep in snow.
Mine is, but I thought I would, as Monty Python used to say....
......" now for something completely different".
.

.
Yes, a Lavatory Brush. Or four to be more precise. I was looking for a green one, but this is the best I could find.
Now, I'm back on trees again. This snippet on artificial trees was all new to me.
"Although the fir tree has been part of Christmas celebrations for centuries, in Victorian times many homes would have a feather tree. These were made of goose, swan, turkey or ostrich feathers dyed green to give the same effect as a real tree."
The first appearance of this ‘artificial’ tree was in 1845.
The tradition of having a fir tree in the house, fell out of favour following the death of Queen Victoria in 1901 and so the idea of an artificial and reusable tree caught on and became popular.
Now the first company to make artificial trees, was actually better known for manufacturing lavatory brushes! It was the American Addis Brush Company that first came up with the idea of a mass-produced tree.
They initially produced their trees using the same machines that produced their lavatory brushes.
In Victorian times the tree was often decorated with candles housed in glass holders which were wired onto the tree. When these were lit the lamp would look a bit like a fairy’s wings - hence the term “fairy lights”.
.
.
Our tree that used to come in from the garden (around 1950) of course had electric lights but we still clipped wax candles at the ends of each branch. As someone who never throws anything old away, I still have a box of these, as seen above. They were from dear old Woolworths and still have the price on the back 1/6d. (7 ½ p in new money).
The tradition of hanging decorations on the tree can be traced back to Germany when fruit, nuts and small pieces of gingerbread were hung on threads.
.
.
During Victorian times, people started using small toys, silver stars and small wooden carvings. Now I do not have any of our original tree decoration, apart from the candles, but I do still use three little figures that my sister made for me some thirty years ago. Thanks Jean xxx.
Overheard in the PO queue yesterday.....
“What do you and your family have planned over the erm… non-religious-specific days off in winter?”
MERRY CHRISTMAS
.

A feather Christmas tree, how decadent and delicious. Those Victorians were so stright laced on the face of it, but there was an undercurrent of the slightly naughty about them!
ReplyDeleteThis was all news to me Kath. I had no idea they used green feathers.
ReplyDeleteHave you built your Snowman yet? I told Jan that you'd probably be out there first thing. Clearing a path to the workshop no doubt? I've just dug the car out, so to speak. I am hoping to get out this evening.
Cheers.....Bernard
Alas no, I had a little "op" yesterday which involved a G.A., so I am lounging on the couch, in front of the fire like the Queen of Sheba, while my doting husband runs back and forth with cups of tea and to throw another log on the fire :D
ReplyDeleteIf we get more snow tonight, I have every intention of getting out with Himself and the dogs across the fields in the morning.
Wonderful, youre an old softie at heart. see comment re Something for the weekend.
ReplyDeleteWhat sweet little furry creatures!
ReplyDeleteHave you thought of turning your new green bog brush up on end and using that as a little Christmas tree? You could stick the handle in the snow in your garden!
I have never heard of feather Christmas trees before. Those decorations are lovely :-)
ReplyDeleteTakes a lot of geese to make a tree!Perhaps we won't go any closer than that! Delightful furries for the tree!Are the brushes presents?
ReplyDeleteSnow hey! You all said it would be a White Christmas.Ah the memories!One stands out...ridng pillion to Somerset from London on Christmas Eve after snow.The seat had a split and the foam inside had filled with water so by then frozen.Not many can say they sat on a block of ice all the way down the A303!
Happy Christmas!
Bless you...Merry Christmas! I'm so tired of hearing "Happy Holidays!" I never saw candles on a Christmas Tree. I would think it a bit dangerous when they are lit?
ReplyDeleteNice ornaments. The homemade ones are always so original.
Once again, let me thank you all collectively.
ReplyDeleteI did the bit on a 'Feather Tree' as it was the first time I had every heard of it. The Loo Brush bit was only for a laugh but TRUE; you see the machine that twists the bristles for the loo brush was the same machine that twisted the wire for the tree branches!
Our real tree was brought in from the garden, decorated and after Christmas planted back out. We never lit the candles as we had 'Fairy Lights'. The candles were just part of the decoration.
It is not only 'white' here at the moment but bloody freezing.