"A choir-singing pensioner trapped in a hospital toilet was freed after singing the chorus to his favourite song, Handel's Hallelujah. "
George Hudson started singing after the emergency chord failed to work despite three tugs.
The 80-year-old, who was at the Kent and Sussex Hospital in Tunbridge Wells for a hip replacement operation, was then rescued.
"I pulled the red chord and I got no response," he said. "I thought, oh well, it's coming up to Christmas, so I gave them the opening verse of the Hallelujah chorus. The doors then opened very quickly.”
Mr Hudson, who sings with his local choir, said he did not blame staff for the equipment failure after he got stuck in the cubicle with just his Zimmer frame.
The married octogenarian has performed with the Cranbrook and District Choral Society since he was 27.
A spokesman for the hospital apologised for not answering Mr Hudson's call sooner.
The spokesman said: "We wish George all the very best for the future and apologise for not answering his call sooner by more traditional means."
I think that is a lovely tale with a happy ending.
I can just visualise him standing there with his Zimmer singing Hallelujah!
Now somewhere I have the music, not very interesting.......
.......but this is.
This, is I promise you, is very funny.
The intro is far too long so if you wish fast forward to 1:40.
Slow to start.....but wait until it does!
.

Fabulous! I just adore that song, it was wonderful to hear it with my post-dog walking cuppa!
ReplyDeleteLiked the old man story.
ReplyDeleteI've mentioned Christmas music in my post today too.
I will have to wait until I am not at work to listen to the Brothers (or are they sisters?)but I look forward to them.
That was fabulous, I couldn't stop giggling throughout. I particularly liked the 'sopranos.' It's now on my YouTube favourites. Thanks for posting it.
ReplyDeleteGood to hear/read a story with a positive ending!!Hope he had some tinsel on his Zimmer.
ReplyDeleteWhat can I say... That is quite amazing :-)
ReplyDeleteI actually thought that, not only was it very funny, but also VERY clever.
ReplyDeleteHow they managed to hold up the right board at the right time is truly amazing. I'm sure if I had been amongst them it would have been a complete disaster!
It reminded me a bit like "hand bell" ringing....each person holds two bells and has to ring one at exactly the correct moment to produce a tune.
(Mmmmm...might look for clip)
Cheers all.....Bernard