Sunday, 23 May 2010

"And in amongst his Prickles"

.
A quick follow up to yesterdays 'wildlife' bit.

I raked around in boxes upstairs and found last years photos of the baby hedgehogs.
They built their 'nest' in the border nearest the back door so it was not too difficult to sit and listen for the rustling to indicate that they were on the move.
First two little fellows came out to investigate the plate of cat-food that I had put out .
.
.
And then their fellow brothers or sisters joined in the feast.
No sign of proud Mrs Tiggywinkle.

.
.
Lets hope they don't end up squashed on the road.


A Hedgehog cannot make you laugh,
Whistle, dance or sing,
And he ain't much to look at,
And he don't make anything,
And in amongst his prickles,
There's fleas and bugs and that,
But there ain't no need to leave him,
Squashed. And dead. And flat.

Another gem from Pam Ayres.

The Chilterns are home to many Red Kites. They have been breeding in large numbers since their re-introduction some years ago. I have them overhead everyday and have managed to entice them down into the garden for food scraps. But one thing I have never seen, is one settle.
They seem to be on the wing all the time.
Well, on Friday I looked out and there was one settled on top of my conifer at the bottom of the garden.
Dashed in, grabbed the camera, crept back outside and just as I raised the camera, it took off. (I pressed the shutter before it had time to focus - sorry about that - foiled again).
.
.

Let's spare a thought for Red Kites,
And spare a thought for me.
Let's spare a thought for hedgehogs,
As you drink your cup of tea.
Spare a thought for hedgehogs,
Hoverin' on the brinkt,
Spare a thought for hedgehogs,
Lest they become extinct.
.

14 comments:

  1. It's so hard to get a photo of a Kite, well done Unc. We get them here all the time, they swoop and hover over one of our neighbours gardens, where they have a duck pond. They make a high sounding cry, which I am told is to say they've spotted something tasty. Love the hedge-pigs, I read somewhere that they are quite vocal too, especially when romance is on their minds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kath,
    You would think that Kites, being very large birds, would be easy to photograph. Well they are in a way.....but to get a good picture is, as you say, quite difficult.
    And yes, hedgehogs do make a lot of courting noises - more like a herd of pigs! :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning sir!!....i love the hedgehogs... we got two little ones and the "master"of the house i guess here in the little garden...they do make me laugh sometimes...because they play too in the "twilight"at night..stambling over eichother...making funny noises...feeling safe...you are quit a good photographer by the looks of those beautiful pictures...
    Have a great day and maybe we get so lucky that you take some more pictures of your garden...greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Francien, a lovely warm one again.
    I like hedgehogs in the garden as they eat all those bugs and slugs that eat my plants! It is a shame they never stay in the same place for long. I am told they are wanderers and will be off into next doors garden and away. Mind you they come back to my garden again for water to drink.
    I am the only one around here with ponds in the garden and that is what brings in all the birds and other creatures.
    Greetings.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were watching red kites on my train journey home on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to hear all about the creatures in your backyard KD. Love all the photos. How about a tour of your backyard some time. It looks lovely.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photo, and the hedgehogs are so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful photos Bernard, so nice to see these little chaps again.Did you know some of them emigrated to New Zealand, The Land of The Long White Cloud?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those hedgehogs are so CUTE!!! Well done with the kite too, even though it wasn't the photo you planned. It's like that with animals, isn't it?
    Did you compose that last poem?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cherie,
    Is that London - Birmingham -Home? I wonder which bit of that journey had the kites. A trip down the M40 by car is the way to see them.
    Seems like Hundreds! :)

    Helen, I do do tours, or I should say have done tours. It's just that they are hard to find. (Old posts). :(
    I keep meaning to go back through my posts and get the 'Labels' correctly tagged.
    I shall put 'garden' on all the post on gardening.:)

    Hi Annette,
    I'm sure you can remember all my gardening bits. It must be over a year ago now. You were telling me about how you did your back in weeding. :(
    Glad you liked the photos.
    Still supporting ASDA, although I do sneak into Sainsbury's every so often.

    That is news to me VON. I had no idea they travelled that far! :) And yes, I look out for them every spring.

    Hi Foody,
    That was last year I took those babies, with a film camera. I had to scan the prints into the computer, so wasn't sure how they would turn out.
    I think I read that there was a 'Kite centre' on the main road, not far from you?
    Have you tried getting some pictures?
    I modified the poem to suit, I'm afraid.
    30% mine. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry Von, didn't mean to 'shout'. The Caps lock must have stuck on! :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so lucky. Haven't seen a hedgehog in ages. I'm told that's because there are now so many badgers around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Bernard I'm so annoyed with myself - I can't find your email - any chance you could resend it - I wanted to respond.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Maddie,
    I'll swap you a couple of hedgehogs for a pound of 'Blue Vinny' any day! LOL.
    I must admit I didn't know they were prey to badgers. :(

    Hi Mrs S,
    Will do. That's very kind, but you mustn't feel that you have to. It was just that I wanted to reply to your comments, all in one place, so to speak. :)

    ReplyDelete