Saturday, 22 May 2010

No Shortage of Wildlife here.

.
.
Well, it certainly doesn't look like rain here in 'Beechy Bucks'. It's wall to wall blue sky this morning.

The south of Buckinghamshire is renown for its Beech woods. The trees seem to thrive on the chalk soils here and whole industries sprang up in area making items from the beech wood (chairs in particular).

I love the woods around here and in fact, love trees of most shapes and sizes.
My back garden reflects this and is a mini haven for wild life.
The four cherry trees were out in blossom a few weeks ago, as were the greengage and apples.
.
.
I have never had a good crop of cherries. The Bullfinches go for the buds, next the wood-pigeons go for the young cherries and finally the blackbirds and squirrels the ripe fruit.
I used to net the trees when they were young, but now they are too large for that.

Look what I found down amongst the cherry blossom.
.
.
A sleepy little mouse.

I read today that some of Britain's most endangered wildlife - from red squirrels to native crayfish - are vanishing from the countryside at an alarming rate.
The report, from the Joint Nature Conservation Committee, revealed that 88 species are in decline, including skylarks, pearl-bordered fritillary butterflies and red squirrels.

It is a pity that didn't include grey squirrels and then I might get a look in with the cherries.
Nothing seems to want to attack the Bramley Apple tree, so at least I get my apple crumbles.
.
.
I have two Mulberry trees in the garden whose young and tender buds are attacked by Wood-pigeons. The lawn beneath the trees is littered with half pecked twigs and buds. It wouldn't be too bad if the eat the buds, there are thousands, instead they just "bite off more than they can chew" and drop the rest!

Now this little 'Tubby Dove' never seems to do any harm. The official name is Collared Dove and this one below is a youngster whose 'collar' has not yet darkened up. They nest somewhere in the garden every year and I've counted a good dozen feeding and queuing up for the bird bath.

.
.
Another visitor, or local resident turned up the other evening.
I was glad he (or she) survived the winter.

.
.
The year before last they started a family and I was feeding baby hedgehogs
with Hazel's left overs.
Must try to did out the photos I took.
.

11 comments:

  1. Your garden is truly a haven for wildlife, it's beautiful in all respects. I wonder if you get as many woodpigeons as we do. Seems they have forsaken the local woods.
    There is a picture on my picture blog that might interest you. See it on http://valspicturegallery.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Valerie,
    'Woodies', as we call them, have moved from the countryside to the urban areas as there is unlimited food on birdtables today. Our local garden centre had a whole section packed full of food for wild birds. (and expensive! )
    Thanks - have been over for a peep and left a comment.
    Cheers ......Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening Uncl B.. what a very interesting and absolutly lovely garden you have...there must be something different to see every day...wonderful flowers too and all that lovely animals..the hedgehogs survived here too...thank you for sharing those pictures....the weather is very sunny here too..makes everything a bit brighther dont you think?! including our moods..even Meisje was playing with the cats today.. yes they survived..they were very bravehearts..but they "attacked"Meisje together..so she did not know who to tackle and play with first and just let it happen..she must have had a good mood too laying in the sunshine...
    Have a very fine and sunny weekend...greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos Uncle B. We never get any cherries either, for the reasons you mentioned. I adore greengages, but last year the wasps beat us to it. The land around our cottage belonged to it years ago and was a large orchard. Nowdays the neighbours and ourselves have different fruit trees from when the land was divided up and the neighbours all swap their particular fruits.
    I love your hedgehog pic, who could resist Mrs Tiggywinkle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Francien,
    Everything looks so fresh and clean at this time of the year. The only dead bits now are the old daffodils.
    It is always fun to see dogs and cats playing. Animals are always fun to watch and photograph.
    It is very warm here again this morning. You see, I like to keep busy, so I am not over-keen on hot weather - it makes me just want to sit! :(
    Cheers....Bernard

    Hi Kath,
    I found a few more photos this morning - the ones of Mrs Tiggywinkle's baby hedgehogs. I pick my greengages before they get too ripe. They are still a bit to hard to eat, but I ripen them off in the safety of the conservatory.

    Hi TC,
    Many thanks. It is not always like this. It gets very untidy later in the year. When all the spring flowers have gone I have very little to take over. It becomes all green. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent tip Unc, I could line mine up in the greenhouse to ripen (that's if there's not a dyeing prject spread out in there LOL). I'm just off to see the hedge-pig photos....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not too long Kath, they may start to dry out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do have a very lively garden. I have only seen birds and a frog in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These photos are brilliant! Loved the mouse. They usually move like lightning so you did well to 'catch' it. I envy your colourful, flowery garden.

    Oh,there's my organ grinder from Prague on the right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cherie,
    Only today I was reading in the Telegraph how there is a shortage of wildlife in gardens, because they tend to be on the small size and therefore little room for trees. I am doing my best to make up for it.

    Hi Foody,
    You are right they usually do. Perhaps it was an old tired mouse, having a rest or maybe it wasn't feeling well.
    Mrs Successful was telling me she took a photo of the Prague grinder many years ago, so he is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete