.
Or in this case "A Picture Paints Ten Thousand Tulips".
.
.
Yesterday was my third trip up to Cliveden in as many weeks. It was reported that the gardeners had planted ten thousand tulip bulbs this year in the Long Garden.
The cold weather had delayed the flowering but this visit proved "Third Time Lucky".
(Click on the pictures to enlarge)
And there they were!
"Ten thousand saw I at a glance."
.
.
Actually, that was only half of them!
The Long Garden is really long. (None of the guide books actually give the length)
It is laid out all along the boundary wall on the south side of the estate. It is also relatively narrow. It must be ten times longer, than it is wide. In passing, I noticed that the shrubs along the south wall, included Californian Sweet Bay and a Californian gooseberry with scarlet, fuchia-like flowers which was labelled 'Ribes speciosum'.
.
.
It was not possible therefore to photograph the whole garden with the ten thousand, so I stood in the centre and took photos east and west.
.
.
From the east looking to the centre.
And from the centre, looking west.
.
.
The garden comprises four beds, so each was planted with 2,500 bulbs.
What a back breaking exercise!
A wide mown walk down the centre, bordered with box hedges and topiary heads to a central space with four 18th century stone figures.
.
.
The Long Garden was laid out by the 1st Viscount Astor. His inspiration was clearly the Renaissance and 17th century gardens he had known during his years as US Minister in Italy, with their statuary and formal evergreens.
The original beds were planted with herbaceous plants under the guidance of Norah Lindsay, who was also responsible for all the lavish floral displays at Lady Astor's house parties.
.
.
I felt a bit cheated, as I could only count 9, 996 flowers!
.

There's always that one!Magnificent!
ReplyDeleteWonderful! Just how I imagine the Queens garden in Alice and Wonderland.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely and did I spy Bluebells in the background too?
ReplyDeleteNowhere does Spring like England!
Cheers
Helen
What a display! I knew Helsie would like that. It's very much like the chateau garden she showed us.
ReplyDeleteLovely topiary too!
I think there's a song in (???) "Hello Dolly" about tea with the Astors. You'll know.
How glorious! What a beautiful stroll it must be.
ReplyDeleteWow! they were certainly well worth the wait.
ReplyDeleteIt must have taken you a long time to stop and count them all!!
Beautiful! I love tulips thanks for the photos really cheered me up x x x
ReplyDeleteIt really was amazing. Of course photographs can never give the same experience as actually being in the garden. The sad thing is of course, that display will soon be all over and those colourful beds will revert to decaying leaves and stems. I am not sure what they plan to replace them with.
ReplyDeleteI also noticed something in the garden that I had never seen used before.
Artificial grass! What is it called ‘Astro-turf’? Something like that.
The narrow walk up the centre of the garden gets, literally, thousands of feet compressing the ground and wearing away the turf. It was here that the NT were trying out this artificial lawn. It looks OK from a distance and probably wont show up in photos. It was like walking on a green bit of carpet!
I am glad you all liked the pictures. Sorry to keep you all waiting.
Thanks to all......Bernard.
PS I shall look into that song for you Foody.
PSS I actually gave up counting Cherie, I kept losing my place as the wind moved the flowers!
PSSS Glad to cheer you up Amy. Sorry to hear you needed it. xxx Unc B.
In response to your comment about the seasonings in
ReplyDeleteEnglish food, and the lack of garlic. If one drives through California's San Joaquin Valley, the breadbasket of the country, there is no way to escape Gilroy, the garlic capital of the nation. You can smell it coming and going. They even have festivals celebrating the "Clove." I hold my nose 'til we get out of there. Garlic Ice Cream? Yuck.
Myrna:
ReplyDeleteYou have to be on your guard all the time when shopping now. There are now so many items in supermarkets with 'variations on the theme'.
I hurriedly grabbed a tin of chopped tomatoes the other day. When I got it home, there, in little letters 'with garlic'.
There is the choice to buy items without it (thank heavens), but you have to always be on your guard for the small print. :(
Cheers .....Bernard.
You post so many gorgeous photographs, Bernard. I love trees (as well as flowers) and the manicured trees in your photographs are so beautifully elegant. Thank you. xx
ReplyDelete