.
I notice PIGS are in the news quite a bit at the moment.
Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain…… or was the ‘I’ for Ireland?
Just like this country, they are up to their neck’s in debt.
.

.
Have you noticed over the last few months, how the press have been comparing politicians to pigs?
Not fair on the pigs I say.
I happen to like pigs, especially when cured, smoked, cooked and served up between two slices of bread!
I am told that the only part of a pig that is not eaten is its ‘squeek’! Or should that be its ‘oink’?
Foody will know; she is very good at describing sheep sounds.
.
.
This little book from the 1950’s, certainly gives several recipes for every part from its tail to its ears. You can easily find ears and tails in pet shops as ‘Doggie Chews’ but not exactly common on the shelves in Sainsbury’s and Waitrose.
I found one recipe for tails but a good half dozen for ears - how about Pig’s Ears Flamande or Pig’s Ears Sainte-Menehould?
This got me wondering about the expression as in
“Gordon made a right pigs ear of the campaign”.
The phrase "pig's ear" usually means a useless object. To make a (total) pig's ear of something means to (totally) mess it up.
I wonder how it originated?
‘Pigtails’ was easy to track down. It was all here on Wiki.
I also found a fascinating Pigtail poem by W. M. Thackeray, I didn’t copy it but you can read it here.
Now music and pigs, are a bit like chalk and cheese - not often found together.
The Beatles had a song called “Piggies” I believe, but it is not in my collection.
I do however have a taped version and the sheet music to “The Old Sow” (see above picture). A good old traditional Sussex folk song complete with animal noises!
It is sometimes known as “Suzana’s a funiful man”.
That is the way it is spelt in my copy.
Strange people in Sussex.
Very funny, very silly and very difficult to sing.
I know - I have never succeeded in getting it right.
.
.
A nice helping of "Shropshire Fidget Pie" tonight I think.
.
Devonshire Dumpling has requested a recipe for Bacon Badger.
This may not be as good as our expert Kath's recipe is.
But it's a start.
.
(Click to read)
.

Believe my Grandfather used to sing that one!
ReplyDeleteWell, I think in the beginning I used to say that pigs snorted but as you grow up you move around and meet other people who express things differently so I think I now have adopted "oink".
ReplyDeleteFidget pie sounds good. Have eaten it but have yet to make it.
Don't forget about black pudding, now!
Oh that reminds me, I have been meaning to make a bacon badger for ages, made with bacon, onions, sage and a few chopped toms in a suet wrap. My Mums secret addition is a tablespoon of Branston, (I guess it would work with any chutney/pickle of your choice). My husband is Irish, so his favourite meal is bacon and cabbage.
ReplyDeleteRaki loves dried pigs noses and I am not adverse to eating pigs trotters (if you can find them these days)
ReplyDeleteWould love Kath's bacon badger recipe.
I have no experience with English food; but I love the sweet little piggie sleeping on top of a slab of Pork. Is it real?
ReplyDelete....And I really love bacon, ribs, BBQ Pork chinese style, and sausages. Take the big ugly ones; spare the baby.
Hi Von,
ReplyDeleteAh, but did he get all the grunts, squeeks and whistles in the right places? :)
Hi Foody,
I only picked on two 'piggy parts' this time as there are so many recipes and stories that I could do. Another day, perhaps. It's funny you mentioned 'black pud'. I had some yesterday. Yummy! Yummy! :D
Hi Kath:
I have a Badger recipe in one of my books. I don't make it, as it must be quite fattening with all that lovely 'suety' pudding. I have popped it up in the post for DD. Is it the same as yours? :D
Hi DD,
That's a new one on me. I haven't see a dried pig's nose. I can remember Dad boiling up a pig's head to make brawn. I still have the old 'Brawn press'. It was used to press tongue as well. And yes, we had trotters after the war.
I still see them on market stalls in Thame.
Hi Myrna,
The slab of bacon was real. Very real, I had some of it for my 'tea'. 'Tea' is my evening meal. Some call it diner or late diner.
As children, diner time was mid-day, but down here in the south, the mid-day meal is called lunch.
I love sausages, but they must be real, meaty home-made ones from the markets (not Walmart).