Monday, 5 July 2010

'Cherry Ripe'

.
No sheet music covers today.

I could do 'Cherry Ripe' I suppose but it was never published as a separate sheet.
It was however included in every school songbook I ever came across.

It started off a promising year for Cherries - no frost at blossom time, plenty of bees for pollination, followed up by loads of unripe cherries.
.
.
Last year I had none!
Would I get to eat any this year?
Or were those pigeons and blackbirds going to get there first?
.
.
They were disappearing fast. Just a stone left here!

.
.
And even if they leave me half a cherry, I wouldn't want to eat it.

Even if they eat the lot I still have the Mulberries.

I did a post about Mulberries, this time last year so don't want to repeat myself, but once again, both trees were loaded.

.
.
The Black Mulberry,

and

the White Mulberry.
.
.
To discourage the birds I tried to spend as much time in the garden as possible, cutting back, weeding, fence repairing etc. etc.

It paid off and I managed to get at least a taste of the cherries this year!

.
.
I wish I knew what to do with Mulberries, apart from just eating them fresh. I did try making wine one year, but it was a lot of hassle and a long wait. I suppose you could make jam, but jam making is not a thing that I have ever tried.
.

13 comments:

  1. You could always make some Mulberry wine Bernard:

    http://scorpius.spaceports.com/~goodwine/mulberrywine.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful harvest! between the squirels, wasps and the birds, I dont get a look in! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. White bulberries. that's new to me. Lovely pictres; made me wish I had my fruit trees back. The ones I'm left with are only good for bird food ... they even like gooseberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know how much into cooking you are, but you could do crumble, pie or tart or even summer pudding with them.
    Or if cakes and puds aren't your thing, juice them or make mixed summer fruit salads with peaches and strawbs etc or shove them in yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good evening Uncle B..That looks delicious...just put them in some yogurt or put them whole on a pie..or just prick?!( hope thats English) them on toast..or give them back to the birds...lol..they will wonder were it all went....lovely pictures again!!..greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to do a double take on the post title!

    When I recovered from that I noticed the garden harvest. It reminds me of my younger days and pies, crumbles, fritters etc :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm glad you got some cherries but surely that not all you managed to save. They look lovely and it must be so nice to have them growing in your garden.
    We have had mulberry trees in the past but they are a real nuisance here because the fruit bats love them, squeal all night in the trees when they feast on them , then do enormous amounts of mulberry coloured poo all over your backyard, clothesline , cars etc. I think fruit bats (or flying foxes as we call them )are probably tropical animals and so don't bother you, do they?
    Oh and down here we have a lovely sweet ( we call them lollies but they aren't frozen treats) called a Cherry Ripe. It one you can't get over there I think. It's made of cherries and coconut and covered with dark chocolate - very yummy. It's the first thing my cousin asks for when she comes back to Oz to visit.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Angus.
    Years ago I did make Mulberry Wine, but not from these trees. There were two large old trees in the grounds where I worked and it was quite easy to gather up a bucketful.
    These trees here are still young and produce small fruit - they are not yet the size of a raspberry. The other thing stopping me, is that I gave all my wine-making equipment away many years ago.

    Hello Kath:
    It’s not as wonderful as all that I‘m afraid. Those were all the cherries I managed to rescue. Still it’s better than nothing. I think nets are the only answer.

    Hi Valerie.
    Yes, white Mulberry. Morus Alba. Not very common but just as juicy and not favoured by the birds, as they mistakenly think they are not ripe. They attack the black ones first.

    Hello Foody:
    I’m afraid I’m not really into cooking sweets and deserts. If I was to make a pie I would be out buying frozen pastry. I like you idea of making Mulberry Juice.
    I wonder if I could freeze it? I could mix it into my plain morning yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had to do it in two parts!
    Got an error message saying comment too large!

    Goedemorgen Francien:
    Yes, I will try some in my yoghurt this morning. As I said to Foody, I don’t make pies and crumbles. I never mind the birds eating the Mulberries as there are thousands of them. I just wish they left me more Cherries.

    Hi CherryPie.
    Only the extra letter ‘r’.
    I didn’t really get enough cherries, even for a Cherry pie!
    As a child, Mother used to make us lots of pies and puddings. I have, over the years, grown out of eating ’afters’, as we used to call them. (now deserts or sweets).

    Hello Helen,
    Yes, I’m afraid that was all I got off four trees! The birds around here are starving - well not any longer - they are full of my cherries!
    I do get bats in the garden, but they don’t eat fruit, only insects and moths.
    I do, however, get the same problem as you, with dark red bird droppings all over the place. I can’t sit on the garden seat under the tree unless it is cleaned first.
    I hope Foody reads that bit about the ‘Cherry Ripe’. That sounds “right up her street”!

    Cheers all……..Bernard
    Off to try some mulberries in my Yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. NOW ITS GONE AND DONE IT TWICE!!!

    Todays Special offer - Buy one get one free!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete