Saturday, 6 November 2010

"Singing Chickens"


One of my faithful followers, better known as 'Foody',
has a blog spot known as 'Singing Chicken'.

Now ‘Singing Chickens’ are very hard to find these days.
I’ve come across ‘Singing Nuns’,
and even ‘Singing Hinnies’
......but chickens?.......
Until I remembered Strasbourg.
Now, in Strasbourg Museum they have
the oldest ‘singing chicken’ in the world.
.

It is all that is left of the very first clock
built for Strasbourg Cathedral in 1350.
All that is known of this clock,
is that it was very large....over 38 feet high !
Two further replacement clocks have been built for the cathedral,
but there are no remaining parts of this first clock .....
.....except the ‘chicken‘.
It was actually referred to as “The Great Cock”
and it sat on top of the clock and ‘sang’ every day at 12 noon.
At that time,
it would open its beak,
put out its tongue and flap its wings.

One of the engineering miracles of the bird, apart from the gearing and bellows, was that each separate primary feather on its wings, splayed out when the mechanism was working. You can see the details in the bottom right of the above drawing.
There is no record of what it sang or indeed even sounded like.

For some time now,
I had believed this to be the only 'Singing Chicken' in the world,
but yesterday I found the real thing!
Foody in disguise,
playing and singing here on YouTube.




After-thought One:- Singing Hinnies.

A Bakestone Cake using flour, butter, lard, currants, milk & sour cream.
‘The Singing Hinnie’ was so called as, when the butter and the cream melted during the baking it sizzled on the hot girdle and was thought to be singing.

After-thought Two:- The ‘Singing Nun’.

Belgium-born Jeannine Deckers shot to fame in 1963 when she released a song in order to raise money for her convent.
The song was entitled 'Dominique' after the 13th-century saint who founded her order. The track sold millions of copies worldwide and to this day she remains the only Belgian to have had a United States hit at number one.
She never repeated her success and her life ended sadly with suicide, following her depression, poverty and addiction to alcohol and painkillers.


11 comments:

  1. What an absolute mine of information you are Bernard. So many and varied are your talents that I am constantly amazed by the variety of topics you cover here on your blog. Always interesting and often quirky.
    Keep them coming !!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen,
    I am pleased to please. :)
    I have always believed that 'Variety is the Spice of Life' and I just love to search out those unusual things.
    In my teens, I discovered the word 'eclectic'.
    "...selecting from each school of thought such doctrines that pleased one. Borrowing freely from various sources, not exclusive in opinion or taste."
    And I guess that sums me up to a tee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing feat of engineering Bernard. Perhaps singing once a day is enough though! Imagine it opening its beak every hour on the hour :0) (think I'm turning into old Mrs Grumpy!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fascinating mix. Be wonderful to hear that singing chook from the clock tower - it must have sounded bell-like, I'm thinking.
    If that's Foody in disguise on the youtube, she sounds pretty good. :) Better than Neil Diamond even!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly,
    It only 'sang' once a day, at noon, so as you it was not too bad. I love engineering curios and would love to have a go at making something like this.

    Hi Kate,
    I was just this minute reading your latest about 'chooks'. :) I have often thought about it myself, as I fancy the fresh eggs, but as you say, there could be hidden expenses. :(
    I'm sure it would have been bells, as there wouldn't have been much else around in 1350.
    Foody is on holiday at the moment and I did this as a bit of a spoof for when she gets back. He,he,he!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember the singing nun Bernard! Did you make that up about her addiction and suicide?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jacqueline,
    I loved that song, and if I remember correctly it was very popular. No, it is sadly true. She died aged only 51, after an overdose of barbiturates.
    There is more about he life here:-

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singing_Nun

    Nice of you to call in and comment.
    Thanks.......Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very interesting story about 'The Great Cock' in Strasbourg, Bernard. I love cockerels - they look so proud and majestic. I brought a huge glass one back from Venice a few years ago. If you make one put me on your list of buyers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Mrs. S.
    I actually published a similar piece about 18 months ago when I only had a couple of followers/readers, so I though it might be time to resurrect it. :)
    I wonder if that was the very same glassworks in Venice I visited?
    I think the work involved would be enormous, after all there are not many details available.
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  10. This reminds me of the iron chicken on the clangers. But that apart it sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cherie:
    You have lost me there. :(
    I guess I'm a bit too 'old' to remember things like that. :)

    ReplyDelete