Thursday, 18 June 2009

'After the Ball'


.
I have several copies of 'After the Ball',
but none seem to have a front cover.
They are all included in albums as this one here.
The tune is easy to arrange for the 26 note organ and I have in fact done two versions. My first, was done about three years ago and as I was still on a learning curve, I only did a simple arrangement of the chorus. The bit everyone knows.

About six months ago I thought I would have another bash and this time include the Intro and Verse.
I have of course kept them on different rolls to avoid repetition.

It was written and composed in 1892, by an American, Charles Harris who became a millionaire mainly from the music sales of After the Ball.
It was also the first song to have sheet music sales in excess of five million copies.
It owed its success to its lilting and evocative chorus.
Like most popular songs, the jokers have got hold of it and produced alternative words.
Here is one amusing version.


After the ball is over,
See her take out her glass eye,
Put her false teeth, in water,
Cork up the bottle of dye.
Put her false leg in the corner,
Hang up her hair on the wall
And all that is left
Goes to ‘Bye byes’,
After the ball!




I'm not quite sure if this young lady has just got back from a Ball, or is getting ready?
Looks fairly complicated to me, with quite a bit of 'iron mongery' attached.
No 'Hanky-Panky in those days!
.

2 comments:

  1. That'll be her glass eye in her hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure....can't see from here!
    I was just wondering if in those days, their 'boyfriends' carried wire-cutters???

    ReplyDelete