.
Following my post on the search for an English Anthem, it has been pointed out to me by 'Singing Chicken' that England is not an island and is only part of an island. Therefore, the words in the song I suggested are not accurate or appropriate.
In this following old print it certainly does not seem to be an island....it looks more like a Jester with a pint of ale riding a sea monster! Looks a bit foreign to me.. maybe French with a hat like that.
(click on the picture to enlarge)
So, let me dig into my music chest and see what else I can come up with.
How about this one?
This time, a march by Ivor Novello called “Rose of England”.
It was written 1937 for the Show ...”Crest of the Wave”.
Rose of England, thou shalt not fade here,
Though forgetful ages thunder near.
Red shall thy petals be as rich wine untold
Shed by thy warriors who served thee of old.
Rose of England, breathing England’s air,
Flower of chivalry for ever fair;
While these proud walls endure to cherish thy prime,
Thou shalt blossom to the end of Time.
And a English Rose in Kipper's garden this morning.
Looks like being a nice day....for a change!
.

Quite right, Kippers, it's not an island in that print because Wales is there too, waving a red flag.
ReplyDeleteThe song is lovely and very appropriate. Hmmm, was not Ivor Novello a Welshman? Or maybe not. I only know he has associations with Wales.
A very nice photo of a rose.
About the clout, I always heard "Ne'er cast a cloot til May be oot". There was always the discussion about whether May meant the month or the blossom but it was said in parts of the country where people don't call hawthorn May. Some say June, some say May. Is that the effect of global warming?
I changed the "May" to "June" as everything seems to be running a bit late this year.
ReplyDelete'Ivor Novello' never actually lived.
(Well not that I know of)
It was a pseudonym used by a Welshman called David Ivor Davies...so I'm told.