Saturday, 19 September 2009

"Seeger, MacColl and Seeger"

.
.
Yesterday posting carried the title
"Where have all the Flowers gone?"
This was co-written by folk singer Pete Seeger.

The Singing Chicken found all these 'Seegers' a little confusing, so thet's see if I can clear things up a bit.

Peggy Seegers' father married twice. Pete Seeger was born to his first wife and Peggy to his second. That means that Pete was her half-brother.
Both became famous for their folk songs and singing. You can see Pete singing "Little Boxes" on my post by that name on 26th June 09.

Peggy Seeger, whilst here in Britain, fell in love with, and married the folksinger/writer Ewan MacColl.
So to be fair to Peggy I have put up a video over on Tracker-Bar of her singing "The First Time ever I saw your Face". This song was written in 1958 by Ewan MacColl especially for Peggy.

The above shows a rather old LP from my collection which I bought in 1970.
This LP has on it gems such as "Dirty Old Town" written in 1946 and the even older "Manchester Rambler" written in 1933.

I have also put on Tracker-Bar a very old version of "Puff the Magic Dragon" from 1966 for Consumne Gal to enjoy (along with anyone else interested of course).

The reason these videos end up on Tracker-Bar is because, that is where YouTube sends them!
I can cut and paste them here but it is a bit of a pain and they don't always end up here in one piece.
.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know where to start - - so many interesting pieces of information in one blog post - thank you SO much! And I was sorry to hear that Mary Travers has died too. Always liked Pete Seeger - - still do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you from Foody of Singing Chicken too! That clears that "who's who" up. Also I had forgotten what song it was that I like dthe rendition of so much. It was "The First Time Ever....."
    Thanks for mentioning the blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Daphne, I hope everyone was able to follow all that. It was sad about Mary...but, we all grow that little bit older every day.

    Hi Foody of Singing Chicken!
    I'm glad that sorted things out for you.
    "The First Time Ever..." is one of the most well remembered, but she sings loads of other excellent numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That brought back even more memories - not just the song and PP&M, but the people in the audience. Those hairdos! Those clothes! To think that all those fresh-faced people are old like me now. How time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I see those hairdos I am always reminded of my very first girlfriend, Sylvia. Ah, those were the days!
    Old?.. Were not old...we're mature!
    Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete