.
.
It is always sad to see bits of our past disappearing and it is equally sad to see bits of other countries past disappearing as well.
I was reading an article on the 'Sternwheelers of the Mississippi', and I was saddened to read how many of these magnificent boats are operating under the shadow of a death sentence.
It would appear that the US Safety-at-Sea laws are being applied strictly to the letter of the law and not 'the spirit'. They are applying laws that were really meant for large ocean going liners to these fine old wooden rivercraft. The expense of bringing these up to the new standard is colossal and many are being abandoned.
One such vessel is the Mississippi Queen, a sister ship to the Delta Queen shown above.
There can be few more pitiful scenes along the Mississippi than that of the once magnificent Mississippi Queen steamboat tied up at the Perry Street Wharf in New Orleans, where it is disintegrating and falling prey to looters.
Clyde Ory, a 65-year-old New Orleans native who has spent his life working on Mississippi boats and first serviced the engines and pumps of the Mississippi Queen recalled….
“Now that’s gone. All the shipping’s gone. We ain’t got no more work. It’s all gone. You see how dead it is? I remember one time you got ships lining up along this river right behind each other and over there they would be anchored, waiting to come in.”
He pointed to where a large window, now boarded up, on the vessel had been smashed by a port worker so that he could use a crane to steal a grand piano.
You may not think there is a link to music, but there is.
Just listen to this Calliope Music played by Rosalinda DeLeon at the start of the June 2006 Great Steam boat race from Baton Rouge LA to St. Louis MO.
Stirring stuff.
.
We can't afford to lose this sort of thing, can we?
.

I love watching the old american films about the mississipi boats.... such a shame to see them go to rack and ruin..
ReplyDeleteI loved this! Such a merry sound, it cheered me up when I needed a smile! I'm guessing thats Rosalinda at the end, waving, wearing the blue t-shirt. She looks like a fun kinda gal!
ReplyDeleteI agree they should be preserved.
ReplyDeleteI thought it would make a change popping this up. It appears that the Calliope has a 'piano like' keyboard although I have never seen one close up. Deb may know?
ReplyDeleteOf course they are not pipes as in the organ, but a whole series of steam whistles. It just looked so much fun. Rosalinda seemed just so excited at the end that I wanted to applaud.
Perhaps they will be saved like so many of our steam engines have been here.
Great post Bernard.So sad to find this spelndid old steamers dying.At very least surely they could be turned into floating accomodation?
ReplyDeleteHere we have a big river on which paddlesteamers plied their trade.Some have sadly disappeared,others lovingly and painstakingly restored and taken out every so often.Beautiful to see.I'll post on one particularly dear to my heart.
Gorgeous music! thank you Bernard for this fascinating post.
Hi Liz,
ReplyDeleteHave just returned from reading that post. Very interesting. I had no idea that there were any still steaming in Australia.