.
Michael Rosen, the former children's laureate, set up the “Roald Dahl Funny Prize” to champion the role of humour in children's books.
Each winner was given £2,500 and a bottle of wine from the personal cellar of the Dahl family.
Now, whilst children's book prizes might not attract the same attention as the Booker Prizes, the publishing industry views them extremely seriously, as popular titles frequently outsell adults' books many times over.
Two of those to find themselves in the top six were:-
1) Philip Ardagh, with his book ‘Grubtown Tales‘, a story of a small town community plotting to rid itself of an odious man.
Sounds a bit familiar….a politician perhaps?
2) David Walliams, the comedian and actor, famous for dressing as a "laydee" in the television sketch show ‘Little Britain‘. His book was called ‘The Boy in the Dress‘, about a young lad who likes to cross-dress.
The comedian Bill Bailey, one of the judges, said “The subject matter tackled by the books on this year's shortlist – such as challenging authority and cross-dressing – showed just how much children's books had changed over the years.”
Certainly has!
Mr Bailey went on to say:-
"I remember kids' books not being particularly funny – they were either tales of derring-do or quaint, cutesy tales like Beatrix Potter".
And what may I ask is wrong with that? I used to like Beatrix Potter tales.
“Kids communicate with humour, they use it all the time.” he said “If you can tap into that you have got an incredibly fertile resource and a way of getting to kids at a young age."
“Getting to kids at a young age”? sounds a bit sinister to me.
Well if “……. a small town community plotting to rid itself of an odious man.” and “……..about a young lad who likes to cross-dress.” are the funniest story lines they could dream up, then heaven help us all.
I think the biggest laugh of all is that they walked away with two and half grand and a bottle of plonk!
.
.
On one of our 'sunny days' this year I was sat under a beech tree in Great Missenden chuchyard.
I noticed a father and his two children sitting by a grave.
Had they lost their mother, I wondered......or perhaps their Grandfather?
No, they were just getting close to their favourite author.
.
.
The days of true humour are numbered.
.

Even if Beatrix Potter is too "cutesy", there is gulf between that and the sort of stuff that won the prize. It's not as if that was the only alternative. It's a sad story.
ReplyDeleteIt is very sad that the next generation of children can't just be children innocent of the real adult world until they are old enough to deal with it.. xx
ReplyDeleteHi Foody,
ReplyDeleteI hate to think what the other four finalists had written. They only mentioned those two in the news.
Morning Sage, I hope children will be inquisitive enough to go off and read what they like. They can keep introducing these 'trendy' books but the classics will all still be there for the finding.
I don't like the sound of this new generation of children's books...
ReplyDeleteGettin gclose to Dahl may not be such a good idea but can understand the pilgrimage.Yes those words were a worry weren't they? All about money and markets again and no doubt some PC rubbish thrown in because we think we ought.I hope the odious man found compassion and understanding in his village!
ReplyDeleteHave you ever written a children's book Bernard?
Hi Cherie, neither do I...but maybe the market will decide what is best.
ReplyDeleteIf they don't sell...end of story!
There is a Dahl museum in Great Missenden...I nearly put in a link to it, but changed my mind. Hundreds of children visit the museum which then gives them directions to get to the churchyard.
I have never thought of writing Liz, this blog is the nearest I shall get.
Cheers......Bernard