.
.
Gather in the Mushrooms,
Put 'em in a pot,
Pop 'em in the oven,
And serve 'em piping hot.
One of many of Benny Hill's songs.....you either like him or loathe him.....I leave it to you.
But....
This damp, mild weather has brought up toadstools or mushrooms of all shapes and sizes all over the place.
I must have found six different species on my lawn yesterday.
Here's just one batch....... Pity you can't eat them.
.
.
Ah, now what have we here......it looks like a mushroom with a red nob on top!
Actually the red object was on the grass behind and was.......a 'strawberry' that had fallen from my 'strawberry tree' above.
.
.
The correct name for this tree is 'Arbutus unedo' and is native to the south-west of Ireland.
I planted mine about ten years ago and seems fairly happy here.
This tree is very unusual because it produces this fruit from last years flowers at the SAME time as it produces new flowers for next years fruit. If you click on the above picture you will see the little flowers which will produce fruit in twelve months time.
The word 'unedo' seems to imply that the fruit is inedible, but it is in fact not poisonous but totally unpalatable. I have tried......exceedingly tart and dry.
.
.
It is soft and juicy just like a strawberry, but not to be recommended and even the birds in my garden give it a miss.
Well, we had a bit of music about mushrooms and yes there is also a song about an Arbutus.
I found it in my book of Irish ballads and I also found a choir singing it on YouTube here youtube.com/watch?v=CfhZbQEfKEk (I didn't bother with a link)

.
My love's an arbutus
By the borders of Lene,
So slender and shapely
In her girdle of green;
And I measure the pleasure
Of her eye's sapphire sheen,
By the blue skies that sparkle
Thro' that soft branching screen.
But tho' ruddy the berry
And snowy the flow'r,
That brighten together
The arbutus bow'r,
Perfuming and blooming
Through sunshine and show'r,
Give me her bright lips
And her laugh's pearly dower.
Alas, fruit and blossom
Shall lie dead on the lea,
And Time's jealous fingers
Dim your young charms, Machree;
But unranging, unchanging,
You'll still cling to me,
Like the ever-green leaf
To the arbutus tree.
.

The William Morris fabric (designed by Kathleen Kersey), called Arbutus, is one of my favourites.We have an Arbutus on our drive and I never knew you could eat the fruits. I might try one now, as you obviously havent suffered ill-effects!
ReplyDeleteHi Kath....now I don't know who Gerard is but my little book on edible foods says:- "a beguiling red berry; but bite it and your feelings may be stronger than Gerard's, who tactfully described its taste as 'somewhat harsh'. In France, it is used in making sweets and liqueurs.
ReplyDeleteJust a careful taste of it perhaps?
I have one of those in my yard! I thought it was related to a native Manzanita because the flowers are the same. I would never have guessed it came from Ireland, thank you for the information. And technically you CAN eat mushrooms and toadstools, you just might not survive.
ReplyDeleteJan, that is a gem!..."might not survive". I like it.
ReplyDeleteHowever I will leave it to others to check it out.
My book does not mention Manzanita Jan, so I can't compare the fruit of flowers....but if you enlarge my picture you will get a better view of them.
Cheers....Bernard
I don't like mushrooms I'm afraid but I like the tree.
ReplyDeleteIt did look like a strawberry didn't it?
Wouldn't want to taste it though!!!!
The mushrooms are sprouting in my garden too.
ReplyDeleteI thought that little red glow was an apple not a strawberry ;-)
Hi Annette,
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid I'm the opposite....I love them. Not from the garden of course. Only yesterday I got some reduced from ASDA and made six bowls of mushroom soup (for freezing).
If you enlarge the pic. Cherie, it shows up better. The Arbutus is called the "Strawberry Tree" but I can assure you that the appearance is the only thing in common.
Believe it makes very good jam,sugar takes the tartness off.Had one in the garden as a child and was always given strict instructions not to eat the fruit..had I but know!
ReplyDeleteWhatever it's a pretty tree and does the same thing as a lemon with the flowering and fruiting.
I didn't know a lemon did that. You learn something every day. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI wonder if Kath will be making jam now?
Making jam! I'm too busy running round Heathrow in my glow-in-the-dark lingerie ha ha
ReplyDeleteI know attracting the pilots!
ReplyDeleteOr perhaps I should say..distracting the pilots!!