Tuesday, 15 December 2009

Anyone for SKI ing

.
I quite like acronyms although most of the time I end up trying to guess what they stand for (ie Kath‘s cat - DP?)...."Dirty Paws?"

I know of nimbys and yuppies;
I’ve heard of dinkies and skids but haven‘t the foggiest idea what they are!
Well now the latest I have come across are “kippers“.
Well if I hadn’t been told I would have thought they were something to do with UKIP but no! Kippers are “Kids In Parents’ Pockets Eroding Retirement Savings.” There is also one very similar to this where the parents were spending the money…."Ski" ing…”Spending Kids Inheritance”.

.
.
Unlike the others, kippers carries with it a whiff of bad feeling, which may not be there at all.
I gather the word is not entirely new as an acronym and has probably been around for at least five years.
What has been happening recently is that with a huge increase in house prices, older adult children, are increasingly likely to live with their parents. Young adults in their mid-twenties and early thirties are now more likely to be living with their parents than they were in 1988: nearly a quarter of men between 20 and 25 live with their parents and while the figure for women of the same age is lower than that it is still much higher than formerly.

Now last week I did a bit on Golden Slippers and you may not be surprised to learn that there is comic parody of this popular minstrel song called Golden Kippers.

A few verses......

Now as I was returning from a friendly call,
I saw some kippers on the coster's stall.
I enquired the price of the merchant there..
"God bless you sir, they're a penny a pair."

( Chorus) Oh, those golden kippers, oh, those golden kippers, oh.
Those golden kippers I had to buy because they smelt so sweet.

Now I tied them together with a piece of rope,
I paid my bill and prepared to slope.
Alright says he, you leave them alone,
Like little bo peep sheep they'll walk home.

My wife she met me at the door,
She gave one sniff and fell upon the floor.
I picked her up, she shook her head,
She gave one gasp and then fell dead.

So I went to the cupboard and I got a dish,
I put the kippers on and went to bed.
In the morning when I came down.
The fish was gone, but the cat was dead.

So I lost my wife, the cat and the fish,
And all I had was an empty dish.
So take my tip when you go in for a treat,
Don't buy kippers when they're smelling sweet.

I'm just off to Iceland, the shop that is, to stock up on a seasonal delicacy!
.
.


6 comments:

  1. Good guess Bernard, but I am going to have to run a proper competition after the new Year, with a cat related prize. Love the kipper display, I might get one for my new kitchen :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love kippers, and my first dog was called that for some strange reason lol... like the rudolph pate, could be followed by roasted bambi :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think kippers have more than a whiff!
    Would love to try that pate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kippers are great, it's the bones I can't stand. I know a couple of kids I can give that label to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not heard of those acronyms before, maybe I need to go back to school ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kath, I think the P is "patch", as on his eye. I'll have to think again.

    Morning Sage.
    Was there a cartoon character called Kipper? I can't remember.

    Foody, Have you tried Kipper pate?
    It's really nice....kippers, butter and lemon rinds (zest).

    Val, I eat my kippers between two slices of bread (coated with Tartare sauce). You never notice any bones that way.

    You would always be behind Cherie.
    They seem to be making them up as fast as you can learn them!

    Cheers all...and thanks, Bernard.

    ReplyDelete