.
I thought I may go out and wassail the old apple tree tonight.
No firing of shotguns through the branches though, just a few kind words and to drink it’s health for next seasons apples.
.
.
In some parts of the country the guns were used to wake the trees so that they would hear the stimulating message of the songs that were about to be sang to them, and bonfires were lit to scare off evil spirits.
Now in Devon, being a county famous for its cider, the farmers take all this very seriously as their livelihood depends on a good crop of cider apples.
Then, the men would encircle the tree and with large jugs of cider, toast the trees three times reciting the following:
Here’s to thee, old apple tree,
Whence thou may’st bud,
and when though may’st blow!
And whence thou may’st bear apples now!
Hatsful! Capsful!
Bushel, bushel….sacksful,
And my pocketsful too!
Huzza!
.
.
Cupfuls of cider were thrown over the branches and pieces of toast soaked in cider were lodged in the tree for the orchard spirits to ensure a good crop for next year.
The toast is supposed to attract the birds and when they’ve eaten it, they stay on to eat any insects lurking in the bark.
On second thoughts…..I’ll drink the cider and eat the toast with a nice coating of Marmite!
And look, even Marmite jars are telling jokes now!
.
.

Sounds like my kind of night out! We used to sing "Here we come a wassailing" at school..but there was never any cider provided..
ReplyDeleteIt's a lovely tradition. They do it in Herefordshire and Somerset too.
ReplyDeleteHave you read the words to ... I think it's the Gloucestershire Wassail:
"And here is to Dobbin and to his right eye" and there's something else about some other animal's right or left cheek. Great stuff.
Us Dorset people wassail... well according to hugh fearnly-whittingstall we do lol
ReplyDeleteLove the marmite joke, I like it on toast but I know some people absolutely hate it xx
I must check out my work colleagues marmite jar. She is an adict!
ReplyDeleteWhat, really? Kath. Throwing cider at apple trees in the dark!
ReplyDeleteSeriously though, I do like old customs and hope they survive.
Hi Foody, I will look into Dobbin when I get a spare moment. I do recall it from somewhere in my dim & distant past.
I didn't know you were a Dorset herb?
I thought you were from Bedford way. Dorset is my No1. county. I could retire there. I have just found this blog from Dorset way which I am enjoying....
worldfrommywindow.blogspot.com/
I couldn't live without "My Mate Marmite"!
Hi Cherie, Pleased to see you are up and running again. I don't know if all the jokes are different? I suspect not.
Thanks all........Bernard