.
.
It doesn't seem all that long ago that people were celebrating not only a new decade but also a new century.
2000 was the year I decided to build myself an organ but it wasn't until 2002 that I got around to sending off for the plans. The plans were marked as No 10, so there were not many being built. It was finished (well almost) and playing four years later in 2006.
And that is about all the good news I have from the last ten years.
Looking back in time to the 1890's, you see all those wonderful songs being sung and tunes being played. One of my favourite musical periods. The music above calls them the 'Gay Nineties', whilst some people referred to them as the 'Naughty Nineties'.
Either way it would have suited me fine.
.
.
The next decade which would have suited me down to the ground were the Twenties.
The 'Roaring Twenties' with tunes like 'Tiger Rag', 'Singin' in the Rain', 'When the Red Red Robin comes Bob, Bob Bobbin Along' and of course 'Making Whoopee!'.
And just think of all those 'Flappers', 'Vamps' and 'Sweet Young Things'.
.
.
I missed those decades by miles, as I was born during the war in the Forties.
The, Forties and Fifties were times of austerity and I found the songs not particularly appealing.
It wasn't until I was at university in the Sixties, that music became more attractive. I liked folk music, didn't mind Country 'n Western and of course enjoyed popular songs like 'Georgy Girl' and 'Winchester Cathedral', just to name two.
.
.
Since then, with of course a few exceptions, I have not been able to listen to the so called 'music' of modern decades.
Electronic sounds and head thumping beats have me reaching out for the 'off switch'.
I wonder if the kids of today will look back in forty years time and remember the sounds of the 'Noughties'.
I can think of nought to describe the 'Noughties'.
Not good anyway.
.

Just about everything after the eighties leaves me cold. As you said the so called 'music' now all sounds exactly the same to me.
ReplyDeleteI never liked much of it either, but strange things happen. I barely remember ABBA when they were originally popular, but when I got my Toyota RAV4 in 2006, it came with a super-duper sound system. I threw a few CDs in to see how it worked, and have been playing Abba Gold over and over for years now. Really loud! The bass shakes your teeth. I also love Simon and Garfunkel, their early, pre-electric years. I can clearly hear one singer in each ear and do a sing-along. The only music I really love is in my car. The same thing on my son's big system in the house is annoying.
ReplyDeleteCherie, that is exactly how I feel. How people can tell one 'song' from another is beyond me.
ReplyDeleteJan.....you have just reminded me. It was thanks to ABBA that I came across your blog all those months ago. I found that if you click on an item on your profile (or anyone else's) blogger will show you hundreds of others with the same item. I searched for ABBA and found Consumne Gal. I've been trying to get some ABBA music off the web (free) for some time now, to try and arrange it for the organ.
And Simon & Garfunkel......I love it!...I love it! (early days of course).
Early days of course!Driving a 1970's Beetle as I do with the appropriate music is a wonderful time warp to be in!
ReplyDeleteThe dearth of good music is apparent in the remixes and re-releases.
Bernard,my Grandfather was a bit of a Vaudeville performer and used to sing a song about the biggest Yorkshire puddin' in the world..ring any bells?
I think you mentioned this before Liz. I had a look around. I have not come across 'the biggest YP in the world'. There seems to be songs about the biggest everything else!
ReplyDeleteYou could ask the Man himself..
Yorkshire Pudding at
beefgravy.blogspot.com/
In forty years time, K.D, the kids of today will look back to the musically cretinous 120 decibel crap that they listened to in the noughties, and wonder where their tinnitus came from.
ReplyDelete