.
I've been ahead of things this year. I have in the past always underestimated the time available leading up to Christmas, but not this year. I bought my M&S Christmas pudding in November (long sell-by date), even cake and mince pies are all safely gathered in!
And.....this year, I wrote all my cards early and have just posted them all off.
Christmas cards don't seem to have any attachments to music, unless you count in those awful, toe-curling cards that play an excuse for "Jingle Bells" when you open them.
My apologies to anyone who likes them. No offence meant.
However, I've been looking through a book which had loads of old Christmas cards shown.
This one amused me......I think that is meant to be Father Christmas in the wheel-barrow.
Is it a kidnap or perhaps she's just taking him home to meet her father?
.
.
As always Pam Ayres sums thing up to a tee.....
Hundredweights of Christmas cards,
Went flying through the post,
With First Class postage stamps on those,
You had to flatter most.
Within a million kitchens,
Mince pies were being made,
On everybody’s radio,
“White Christmas”, it was played.
I like the line about the first class stamps.
Here's an old card especially for all those who love ducks, chickens and geese.
.
.
And one for those who prefer cats.....
And a very silly one for dog lovers. What this has to do with Christmas is anyone's guess?
And I'll leave you with a charming little silhouette clip from 1951. As children we called these "Shadow puppets". I was nine then and probably watched this on our very first television..a 12" black & white 'Regentone'.
.
.
Hope you have all posted early for Christmas.
.

I did smile at the musical Christmas card. My Mum opened one last year and we couldn't stop it "playing". In the end my Brother carried it down to the greenhouse and deposited it there :D
ReplyDeletePosted all my cards on Monday but I haven't opened any yet though. I just let them pile up until I'm ready to hang them, by which time I find all the "new address" notes and I've just posted to old address. Stoopid I know.
ReplyDelete"People who love ducks, chickens and geese...." especially with stuffing and a bit of gravy!
Oh Foody, how could you!? Those geese look happy enough to know they've escaped another festive season!
ReplyDeleteThe cat..maybe it's a representation of how some presents can fly back and forth across the giftoshere before making their home in the Charity Shop.
Pleased everything is 'safely gathered in' Bernard,you must have great self restraint, they wouldn't last the day in this house!
I really must remember to take my cards into work tomorrow. Most people aren't in next week!
ReplyDeleteThat silhouette clip is rather cute :-)
They are not very good are they Kath? The greenhouse is definitely the best place! See how the tomatoes liked it?
ReplyDeleteYes Foody, I'm afraid that is just a teeny, weeny bit silly. What do you do if you get a card from someone not on your initial list? Do they lose out or get a late delivery?
Liz, did you mean to type dog? Oh I see, you mean all those pots and jars. I was wondering about the dog dressed in a frock playing badminton?
You must Cherie. Those old clips I find fascinating. Your little thumbnail pic is missing! Not more problems I hope?