Sunday, 13 December 2009

It's Hard to make Ends Meet.

.
At this time of the year there is so much talk of food...the papers seem full of it. You would never know there was a recession on. It is mainly expensive food, rich high in calorie food, lots of saturated fat food.......Ah, they say it's only once a year.

But here is a meal which I enjoy many, many times a year and usually with a different type of sausage. Mainly from the Farmer's Market in Thame.
.
.
Bangers 'n' Mash

By definition 'bangers 'n' mash' is a dish made with cooked sausages served with boiled then mashed potatoes (not to be confused with Toad-In-The-Hole which is an entirely different dish made with sausages and Yorkshire Pudding batter).
Anyway, this traditional British dish was made world famous back in the 1960's by an unlikely hit record created and sung by comedian Peter Sellers and (of all people) the then sex-pot Sophia Loren!
The 'rough' history is that the two had embarked on a torrid affair during the making of a film called 'The Millionairess' in which Sellers played a pre-PC role as a Doctor of Indian origin.
Somehow Sellers persuaded Loren to 'sing' along with him on a record spawned from the film "Goodness Gracious Me". This was a hit, and they followed it up with "Bangers and Mash".

"I met her down in Napoli and didn't she look great?
And so I brought her back to Blighty just to show me mates,
And though we're married happily I'll tell you furthermore
I haven't had a decent meal since 1944."
" Eat your minestrone, Joe."
"That's all you ever say."
"Eat your macaroni, Joe."
"Every blinking day."
"No wonder you're so bony, Joe, and skinny as a rake."
"Well then, give us a bash at the bangers and mash me mother used to make."
.

Strange as it may seem this is not the only song I have that is about sausages.
There is this little gem from the 1920's - "The Sausage Song".

Turn me over, turn me over,
I’m waiting to be done the other side.
Turn me over, turn me over,
Remember Sausages have got some pride;
I’ve got no lovely clothes, I’ve got no silken hose,
But in my skin I’m welcome far and wide.
Turn me over, turn me over,
I’m waiting to be done the other side!

Believe it or not, but this little song had a great tune to it......and it fitted the organ scale.
So I believe I have the only paper-roll version of the Sausage Song.

Better not sign off without a (bad) joke.

A customer complained to her butcher about the sausages she had bought from him last week.
“They were all meat at one end, and all bread at the other.”
“I’m sorry, madam,” said the butcher.

“In these times of recession, it’s difficult to make both ends meat.”
.

8 comments:

  1. That amde my mouth water Bernard. Yah boo sucks to dieting I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Takes me back a long way when you post those old and familiar songs.
    You're also talking about food closest to my heart. Sausage and real mash, goodness my mouth's watering already.
    Heehee groaning over the joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm! I had proper butchers sausages yesterday, they were delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeeew, sorry. The mash look great, but I'm definitely not a meat a gravy person.

    Loved the joke...a great way to start my early work day! (Off to it, on a Sunday, at 7:30 a.m.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kath, Put off diets until 2010. Although with no kitchen this Christmas I can see your family losing a few pounds!

    Valerie,
    "A little of what you fancy does you good"...
    There is another song which makes a lot of sense, although I don't know where they come from?

    "Proper butcher's sausage from a proper butcher's shop".
    I like it Cherie...a new tongue twister?

    I'm afraid I'm a gravy person myself, Deb. Lovely & rich.
    Glad you liked the joke. I wish I had one for you every day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great cracker joke! Thank you! And so topical too.
    I too enjoy a proper butcher's sausage, with onion or mushroom gravy, with or without the Yorks pud.

    Hey, my word verification is "revel hol". Have fun on my hols? Don't mind if I dooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just knew you'd like the sausage, and the joke was just for you and your crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't beat Bangers'n'mash.Out here in the other place we eat it with tomato sauce as well as gravy.No self-respecting sausage would be seen without Rosella Tomato Sauce.(Not made out of parrots just tomatoes)

    ReplyDelete