Wednesday, 2 December 2009

"Jibbery Dick"

.
.
My poor ears have been subject to endless renditions of "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" from plastic santa's, singing Christmas trees and Asda's PA systems. Everywhere, plastic decorations, plastic reindeer and 'plastic' music.

Well, I for one, am not dreaming of a white Christmas, I'll leave that to the BN party. I am dreaming of a "Dreamy Devon" for a certain blogger who can't get to sleep.
I have left several suggestions on her site but none seem to work. So as a last resort, before attempting to sing her to sleep, I suggest the following very old remedy from the Lake District.

Counting Sheep!

But you must count them in the old traditional way. No cheating!

Eeny Teeny Ethery Feathery Fino,
1....... 2...... 3 .......4....... 5
O-thery Mo-thery Co-thery Jibbery Dick,
6 .......7 ......8...... 9 .......10
Eendick Teendick Etherdick Featherdick Bumpit
1+10........ 2+10....... 3+10....... 4+10 ......15
Eenbump Teenbump Etherbump Featherbump Jickett.
1+15 .......2+15....... 3+15....... 4+15....... 20

I've put the numbers underneath, just to make it clear!

If this doesn't bore you to sleep......nothing will. ROFL
.

7 comments:

  1. Thats very interesting Bernard, as I learned a similar rhyme. I think there must be many regional variations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not hear of the verse before. But counting sheep certainly bores me to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not familiar with the verse, Bernard. When I tried counting sheep I kept losing count because of frequent stops to stroke the damn things. I decided to stick to the relaxation methods taught at Yoga school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bernard, I've never known the full list and am glad to see it.I won't be using it of course because it's a hopeless excercise for me.I start wondering about what breed of sheep they are,how old and when they were last shorn.
    I rely on relaxation tapes or listing all the things I 've got to be thankful for, the good things that have happened during the day and I hear some swear by a teaspoon of honey in warm milk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning ladies.
    There you go....you can usually find something you didn't know here. I am always being told that I am a 'Mine of useless information'.
    To be perfectly honest I find there are much more interesting things to read about in our past history, than all the rubbish we currently get, passed off as entertainment.

    I must tell DD about 'relaxation tapes' and 'honey & hot milk' (if she hasn't already read this). She is having trouble getting to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry Foody, All comments within seven days are published without moderation. So it popped up this morning. I have read it and deleted it.

    ReplyDelete