Monday, 21 December 2009

Little Donkeys

.
.
A lot of papers and blogs are doing bits on 'My favourite Christmas Song' or even the 'Worst Christmas Song ever'.
The above three in the picture, can fall into either category, depending on who you ask. We are all different and all have our own likes and dislikes so I don't think there can be a 'Worst Song Ever'.
Mind you, having said that.....I think there have been quite a few contenders in recent times!
Nothing like the Golden Oldies.

'Little Donkey' was a hit for Gracie Fields in 1959......but how about this for a little 'donkey'?
No, it's actually a little pony. (and a very large horse).
.
.
She is a Shetland pony owned by Sandra Ponder who has named her Lucy.

The big fellow, a 10 year old called Poe, belongs to a Miss Thompson. He measures 20.2 hands – or 80.8 inches.

But back to donkeys. Here is yours truly on the sands at Weston-super-Mare in (at a guess) 1947.
.
.
I hope you notice that I am 'leading the field'.....those four young girl didn't stand a chance.
Those early days at the seaside were the ONLY times that anyone got me into the saddle!

And a silly verse...
When trotting around Morcambe Bay,
Pretty Foody gave no man his way.
Though pressed hard to yield,
Trotting over a field,
Her horse answered for her, "Neigh! Neigh!"
.

8 comments:

  1. Nice donkey photo. i used to like the donkey riding on the beach too. I'm surprised they still allow it but I bet not for long.

    I wonder if that Shetland pony is a miniature Shetland, which means it would be very tiny even for a Shetland. Good pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a very old photo Foody. I have loads. Dad used to have a 'box' camera...probably a Kodak Brownie.
    We always went down to Weston on the train and for years we kids thought that the Great Western Railway was so called because it took us to Weston- super-Mare!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to confess to never having a donkey ride. I don't think I will start now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My former father-in-law grew up on "The Cliffs" in Morecombe. Now I'll have to look up some old postcards from the 1940's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very fond of Weston but never rode a donkey there.I have ridden a camel though on the sands of Victor Harbor, a pleasant seaside town of retirees and holiday makers and the annual event called "Schoolies".
    What a delightful horseyish post.
    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My poor fingers take ages to warm up.
    Have battled out to buy sprouts and parsnips (essentials) and anything I thought I may need. It's not the fact the shops are closing for a couple of days....more the fact that roads and pavements are very icy.
    I don't blame you Cherie, I'm sure you're not missing anything.
    You have some English blood the Deb?
    I'm helping a friend with her family tree which is quite fun. It is amazing how often we find 'branches' which go off to Canada and the states. Have you done a tree?

    Hi Liz, Did you know that the lovely pier was burnt down? I just can't imagine Weston without it.
    Happy Christmas to you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, you're all riding without helmets! How DID you survive?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jan,
    In those days we no regulations.
    Everyone survived.
    Today we have so many regulations that no one does anything any more.
    The 'goddess' of safety has stifled all excitement and adventure.
    I'm all for common sense and proper precautions but today 'risk' is a dirty word.
    I hope you and your family all have a very happy Christmas and a peaceful, but active, New Year.

    ReplyDelete