Sunday, 27 December 2009

Musical monstrosities.

.
I didn't get what I wanted for Christmas.
I did try but couldn't get it past the checkout!
.
.
So how did everyone else do?

“Did Father Christmas bring you everything you wanted this year? Or were you left with the usual pile of unasked-for smellies, oversized kitchen gadgets and ill-fitting, unflattering clothes?
If so, you are probably not alone. Recent research indicated that British shoppers wasted £1.7 billion on unwanted Christmas presents this year. “

Novelty panties topped (or should that be bottomed?) the list of unwelcome gifts, after all, who wants panties at Christmas?
Maybe in cold wind-swept Devon, where I am told they require fleecy lined sheepskin Directoire style underwear.
Well it appears that musical ties, musical doormats and musical coasters were also cited in the survey by the environmental group ‘Green Thing‘, with mothers-in-law and workmates as the worst donating culprits.

I suggest we have a competion to suggest what tunes these ‘musical’ gifts played. I’ll kick off…..

1) Musical tie - “Ying Tie, ying tie, ying tie, ying tie, ying tie. Tiddle I Po.”
Sorry I’ve just been informed it’s “Ying Tong” so I’ll have to revert to “Tie a Yellow Ribbon on the Olde Oak Tree”.

2) Musical Doormat - “These Boots were made for walking…..and one of these days these Boots are goin’ to walk all over you.”

3)Musical Coasters - “Oh, I do like to be beside the Seaside”
.

26 comments:

  1. Hello Uncle Bernard,

    This is Rosie Johns' fiance, Adam. I think we almost met once at Emily and Stephen's house but Rose thought we had already met and didn't introduce us. I have been reading your blog chez Adrian and Jan Johns and incidentally have composed an alternative arrangement of a well known Christmas song. I wondered whether it might be appropriate for a musical action man parachute...

    Have a listen and see what you think. The idea was that the song melody is teased in gently to tickle the listeners ears into slow recognition. Unfortunately it didn't seem to work for Jan who couldn't remember the name of the song - perhaps she doesnt have ticklish ears.

    Merry Christmas to you and the cats.

    http://www.yousendit.com/download/VGlmRFFhU1BYSHlGa1E9PQ

    Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam, Wasn't it the November song?

    "And now it's cold outside
    And the rain is pouring down
    And the leaves are turning brown
    Can't you see

    That now it's cold outside
    And it's all because of you
    Cause there's nothing I can do
    To make you love me"

    You will have to tell me what software you used to play it? It was well done. I use Cakewalk for all my arranging as I need MIDI files rather than MP3. I wish I knew how to get from MP3 to MIDI?
    Cheers....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or was it called "California Dreaming"
    "All the leaves are brown and the sky is grey"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I call you Uncle Bernard? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kath, please stop tarting with my Uncle Bernard - you loose woman, you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just want to be an honorary niece! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just go out for a bit of fresh air after being cooped-up for five days, and when I get back....everyone wants me as their Uncle! Now a Sugar-Daddy, I can understand...but I have never heard of a Sugar-Uncle with loads of honorary nieces!
    But if you insist.
    You will of course have to send your 'new' Uncle presents on his Birthday, and shower him with garlic-free kisses.
    Actually I am a Great Uncle...many times over!...God I am I really that old?
    Cheers...Great Uncle Bernard. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a song, but I'll tell you what I got for Christmas. 24 hugs from various people and 2 kisses from slurpy dogs. AND a gift certificate to my favorite plant nursery! Absolutely no junk. Although I'd like to try some of those Devon woolie panties today, it's chilly here. Can you order them on the internet?

    If you're our Uncle Bernard, does that make the rest of us cousins? I love cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun! An instant Blog family, with a Cool new Uncle and American cousins, what do you say DD? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jan,
    You dropped by just as I was typing that last bit. Well, you are lucky, you got 23 more hugs than I did and not a single lick from either of the cats. I don't think they know it's Christmas. They have of course had turkey breast for supper...and breakfast...and dinner... and supper...and..!! I have to make turkey soup tomorrow.
    Devonshire Dumpling I believe has the franchise for woolie pants.
    She needs the extra warmth when walking her dog along the beach being buffeted by the Atlantic gales.
    You Jan, are more than welcome to be my honorary cousin.
    Keep warm....best wishes..Bernard x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I shall have to learn to type quicker.
    I no sooner finish and up pops another comment before I get to the end.
    A 'cool' Uncle? Temperature wise maybe.....but I have never considered myself exactly ....'with it'.
    You are right though about 'Our American Cousins'. That term must date way back to the war years don't you think.
    Hope you are 100% fit now cousin?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes thanks Uncle B. Just waiting for the results of the biopsy they did at the time. I'm kinda stalking the postman when he comes back on duty :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree Kath, it means our new honourary Uncle has to buy us Birthday presernt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An almost present free Christmas here ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...and you don't have to be with-it to be cool, Uncle B, so don't start wearing your baseball cap back-to-front or anything like that :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. ..as long as you don't go completely the other way and start sucking Werthers origionals :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know what Werthers are Kath.
    What I do like sucking in this cold weather thought are.."Fisherman's Friends". Are they similar?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hmm, no, Werthers are a kind of buttery boiled sweet, advertised for and much loved by, Grandpas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did we get what we wanted for Christmas?
    I won't comment here! Just go take a peep at

    http://thisisgettingverysilly.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-am-happy-family-man.html#comments

    on my "Very Silly" blog.

    V.best wishes

    Doc FTSE

    ReplyDelete
  20. . . . all I wanted was a Bosendorfer concert grand piano! Ah, well . . . there's always next year . . .

    ReplyDelete
  21. So what things did you not get that you wanted, and which things did you get that you didn't want?

    I wanted a chocolate Santa (among other things). I got 3 chocolate Santas, 2 chocolate snowmen and other things too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Foody!

    When all you REALLY want is a Bosendorfer everything you do get is something you don't want!
    Well . . I've recently has a right eye cataract sorted out, so naturally one of the kids gave me a glass eyeball . . no I kid you not. Also a giant desk calculator even though I can see WAY BETTER than I could 6 weeks ago. Biography of Charles Ponzi who ran a pyramid scam in the 1920's almost as audacious as Bernie Madoff

    But we got all the family, kids and granddaughters . . and that's the best present, yes?

    Best wishes, Doc

    Bernard . . what's a baseball cap? Best definition I ever came across was "It's a sort of surgical dressing that you wear following a frontal lobotomy"

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, I didn't make myself clear. Nice of Doctor FTSE to greet me and answer the question but I was asking the question of Kippers Dickie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Only small things Foody. A bottle of Vintage Port would have been nice.

    ReplyDelete