.
.
Warwickshire County Council offers a service allowing “older people” to bring in their old slippers and replace them with a pair, which it claims can cut the risk of falling over.
For a fee of £5, participants receive a fitting session, a new pair of the Velcro fastening slippers, and advice on how to don them and avoid accidents around the home.
It has also been disclosed that the firm which makes the special slippers charges local authorities £3 a pair – £2 less than the council charges.
Matthew Elliott, Chief Executive of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: “It is astonishing that while the council claim they have your best interests at heart by providing these slippers, they then fleece you for more than the manufacturer is charging.”
I have no problem in trying to reduce accidents, but to make a profit from the sale shows the council has no ‘soul’!
I wonder if the new slippers are marked 'left' and 'right' - just so they know which slipper goes where!
What do you think of my new slippers?
.

.
Another little tale, again in Warwickshire.
The local Police Community Support Officers in Solihull were handing out clip on bells for the old folk in the summer. The idea was that the bell was attached to the purse or handbag and any movement was rewarded with a crisp tingling noise.
The local supermarket, reported that on Thursdays, (when the pensioners were paid) it sounded like an invasion of Morris dancers.
The idea was that if they got mugged the bell would ring as the suspect made of with the purse! Of course the mugger would have to be thick to realise the bell could be removed by unclasping the bell clip.
And now for a song.......
.
.
This song was written by the black American, James Bland. James was born in 1854, attended High school in Washington and then went on to Howard University to study law.
As a light relief from his studies, he took to learning the banjo and earned a little pocket money from his performances.
He enjoyed music so much that he gave up his studies and joined a troupe of ’black faced’ minstrels. Ludicrous as it now seems, it was required for black people to assume make up when they appeared in minstrel shows.
He wrote at least 600 songs for himself and other minstrel performers, some of whom published his work as their own.
In 1881 he left America for Europe where he remained until 1900. By then, the vogue for Minstrel Shows was over and he died penniless in 1911.
.

Excellent idea! I love my slippers have several pairs. Luckily the dogs are not interested in them at all. I have been known to drive to the shops accidentally still wearing my slippers :)
ReplyDeleteWhatever next!
ReplyDeleteI must have my ears and eyes shut, I never heard of either of these 'offers' ... probably because I never read newspapers. I'm pleased to say I haven't yet heard the bells in Solihull but I'm going to investigate ... giggling.
How old do you have to be to get free slippers?
ReplyDeleteHmmmm... it would have to be a big bell for people to hear the alert over the general background noise, then they would be too heavy for the little oldies to drag around. What a funny story.
What an outrageous waste of money, all ways round!
ReplyDeleteI'm surprised they're not just tagging the oldies - how very seasonal! Free slippers, I do hope no-one complains about the colours or patterns and all recipients are truly grateful as 'the deserving poor' should be if they know their place!
ReplyDeleteBernard, woke up this morning to hear the dulcet tones of an organ from the Cleethorpes Collection.Is this right? Did I hear correctly in the haze after a broken night?
Was so dozey I went to let the geese out and slipped over in the mud, yes! we had rain! I lay there for a few moments in the mud, as you do, checking for anything broken. All was well and I had a good giggle at the gaggle of geese around me wondering what was going on.Funny start to the day!
I don't myself like slippers. I prefer a sort of slip-on 'Scoll' type of footware around the house. I too Kath, have driven off with them on, but they are not really safe to drive in.
ReplyDeleteYes Val, these snippets are from the 'e-papers'. I was going to title the bit about the bells..
..."Jingle Bells"!
Hi Foody, you had to be over 50. A lot of people were complaining that as a 50 year old, they do NOT need to be told how to wear slippers!
Fifty isn't old....is it?
Well the council were making a profit of £2 on every pair Cherie.
You are right, it was the old people who were losing out.
That picture Liz came from a totally different source. I expect the old people had a choice of pink of blue!
We do indeed have organ 'collections' all over the country.
I haven't been to Cleethorpes but I do know of a Marenghi organ that came from a steam heritage collection in Cleethorps. I don't think it is a collection of organs.
You see ...you need non-slip slippers!