Wednesday, 4 November 2009

“A bad day for British democracy”.

.
As Czech President Vaclav Klaus finally agreed to sign off on the Lisbon Treaty,
William Hague, the shadow foreign secretary, said it was

“A bad day for British democracy”.

Daniel Hannan, a Tory MEP and leading Euro-sceptic said the signing was a step towards a European super-state. Saying

“The boot continues to stamp on the human face.”

The UKIP Leader Nigel Farage added:
"Today marks the day in which people will have to start asking themselves what it is they want for the future of their country."
"Do they want a land that is second in the affections of its rulers? A land whose laws are made by those who neither live here nor care about our citizens? A land who is governed by those who, be they ever so decent, have no sympathy for our ways, our traditions, our quirks, our foibles."
"Or do they wish to live in a land of which they can be proud of? One that is a friend to those who wish to be its friends but is prepared to stand up for what it believes is right."
.
.
I find it hard, very very hard, though every means I try;
My living to get and keep out of debt,
But I can't and I don't know why.
I bought a Butcher's shop last year,
A grand one in High Street;
Oh! dear, oh! dear, it turned out queer,
Up went the price of meat!

Up went the price of meat,
Up went the price of meat.
There's heaps of troubles on this young man's mind.
They raised the price of meat!

And that was written in 1882.
And what has this little song got to do with the lisbon treaty?

Britain's farmers are going to be forced to tag individual sheep by means of electronic implant - a very expensive procedure compulsorily pushed on an industry that is already on its knees
Why? Because......
The introduction of electronic identification is an eu obligation, which must be implemented
Lord Tunnicliffe, the Minister supporting the regulation, stated

"I accept that this regulation is probably, on balance, not a good idea. It will create more costs than benefits in most of the industry.... "
"My Lords, it is absolutely clear, I am afraid, that the industry and the individuals in the industry will pay."

The damage done to the UK sheep flock will express itself in further reductions to the national flock, more farmers giving up and even fewer livestock visible in our countryside.
This is a classic example of the worst excesses of eurobureaucracy. It is entirely unnecessary, it is positively harmful and when questioned the answer from the proponents is :-

"That's the way it shall be, because the EU says so, so there."
.
Now expect more and more and more.
.

7 comments:

  1. Sadly I believe the lisbon treaty has done what hitler failed to do and the UK is no longer a country in it's own right, we already pay more than larger countries and receive less in return... it truly has been a sad day for Britannia

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one who is proud to be traditional, quirky and foibley, I say YAAH BOO to the EU, they have interfered enough already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to be stupid, but why do sheep need to be tagged? So if they break free and swim the channel they can be returned to their owners? Sheep don't get mad cow disease, do they? It just seems weird to me that the rest of Europe would care about animals in the UK when Europe is physically attached to the buttocks of the world when it comes to safe farming practices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear All, I have tried on the whole to keep major political items off this blog, but there comes I time when I feel like speaking out.
    Sage is correct in mentioning the last war, as thousand and thousands died to keep this country free.
    Next Wednesday we will remember them.
    How our, so called 'leaders' can wear those poppies after this 'sell out' is beyond me.
    It appears Sage, that Scotland and Wales are quite acceptable to the eu, and it only England that is to be wiped off their maps.
    I'm glad you feel that way Kath, a good fighting spirit is what is needed.
    On this sad day I could have picked on hundreds of ridiculous rules, regulations and directives...but I chose the sheep one today because it was in the news and also because we have been led like sheep by successive governments to this final sad day. They tag the sheep today....how long now before they try to tag us? I read of plans only this morning, to put 'black boxes' in all our cars.
    Jan, this tagging of sheep has nothing at all to do with diseases or other health issues.
    It is, allegedly, to be because of the the widespread fraud in claiming for the old sheep subsidy in parts of the eu. Mention of the possibility of a database to eu bureaucrats set the thing in motion.
    There is a thought that because the UK has the largest and most efficient sheep flock in the eu, many countries, especially France, have viewed our agricultural efficiency with nothing less than green-eyed envy. In all sorts of different ways, the eu has sought to diminish our agriculture in order to benefit their own. They have been aided and abetted by the Labour government who view farmers as not being on side (i.e. they don't vote Labour) and so consequently every excuse to destroy UK farmers has been used (Turn the countryside into one big nature reserve/reduce the number of livestock to comply with our Kyoto target/unilateral increases in welfare requirements to export the problem and the food production to other countries and so on and so on).
    It's just another long, sad story in the diminution of this once proud country.
    (PS I found most of this on the web and can't vouch that it is correct ...but it sounds the sort of thing they would get up to)
    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much here Bernard to comment on.Don't sheep get foot&mouth, other nasties and for those with long memories the fall out from Chenobyl?If you feed animals concentrates,antibiotics and pesticides with contrent of othert naimals not natural to their diet yo uwill get outbreaks of dieseases the source of which needs to be traced hence I guess the tagging.Give sheep, cattle,pigs etc, 'normal diets' like they used to have and the problem would be solved.
    Decades ago some of us voted in the referendum re the EU and those who voted NO anticipated these very problems.It was going to be good for the housewife!The only thing that changed was the price of Brie which went down slightly, the rest was as anticipated for the benefit of industry and business.Could go on and on....

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a sad day for us all, what must follow will only be bad news for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am no expert on animal diseases Liz, but this tagging of sheep has nothing to do with tracking meat in the food chain, as with beef. Someone has just thought, if we can do it - let's do it, never-mind the expense.
    I agree with you entirely about natural food, but I thought sheep only ate grass....so where are the nasties?
    As you say we could go on for ages discussing eu related problems, but life is too short and the 'damage' has been done.

    Hi Cherie,
    I don't think it is like the English people to take this lying down. I bet there is more 'unrest' to come.
    Thanks all
    Cheers.......Bernard

    ReplyDelete