.
I have to admit that I don't fancy fried rattlesnake or saute'd rattlesnake or in fact, any kind of snake no matter how it is cooked. Whether that picture yesterday of a tin of Smoked Rattlesnake was genuine, I don't know. Jan mentioned in her comment that some people in the US do eat it..
.
Here, the nearest we get to eating anything 'snake like', is the good old English eel.
Jellied Eels were very common years ago, especially in the east end of London.
The eel is actually a fish, highly nutritious, and its cooking liquor when boiled is naturally gelatinous, though gelatin is often added to this to ensure a well set liquid.
The liquor is spiced and flavoured - lemon and nutmeg are often used - with vegetable stock frequently forming the base of the liquid for extra flavour.
In London jellied eels are often accompanied by chilli vinegar and served with mashed potatoes and peas making a substantial meal. The eel is cut into pieces between an inch and two inches long, and care needs to be taken with the bones, perhaps one of the reasons for a decline in popularity of the dish.
Eel pie was formerly a popular dish, in which eels were cooked beneath a pastry lid, but in spite of the continued existence of Eel Pie Island whose name honours the dish, and celebrates the catching of the creatures there, the pie is a rare sight on menus or in households today.
Eel Pie Island is situated in the River Thames and was earlier known as Twickenham Ait. A bridge to the island was proposed in 1889, but it was not until 1957 that one was completed. Today, the island has about 50 houses with 120 inhabitants and some small businesses. It has nature reserves at either end, but there is no public access to these. The island is privately owned and the public can only access the main pathway from the bridge, to all the doors and gates of the houses and businesses on the island. On a few weekends a year the public can go into the collection of art studios, known as Eel Pie Island Art Studios.
.

.
Eel bucks at Bray
Years ago, eels were a readily available source of food for the people of London with many eel 'fisheries' in the Thames until pollution killed them off. Most eels eaten today come from Ireland.
The old method of catching eels was to use these wicker baskets shown above and known as bucks. (And I am assured that they have nothing to do with the US dollar).
They were placed in backwaters to keep the main stream clear for navigation.
The live eels were then placed in barrels of water and shipped to the fish markets in London.
The music above "Catch 'em Alive Oh" is not referring to eel or cockles or mussels but would you believe.........flies!
The chap is selling Fly Papers!
Fancy writing a song about fly-papers?
They certainly chose strange titles in 1894
.

When I was growing up, I used to go on the bus with my Nan, to Shepherds bush. We used to eat pie and mash in (by todays standards) a rather grubby cafe, where they also sold jellied eels. I can remember being put off by the glistening skin of the eels and could not be temted to try one. You could take away your pie and mash, if you provided your own containers and we used to take a screw top kar along for the "liquor".
ReplyDelete....a screw topped JAR....not a ford Ka....
ReplyDeleteI believe these 'pie 'n mash' shops still survive but of course they have had to improve their standard of hygiene. I've never tried one...can you remember what type of pie it was?
ReplyDeleteNot an eel pie was it? A 'Kate and Sidney' perhaps?
Well, it was definately not an eel pie, it was either Snake and Pigmy or just Snake.....
ReplyDeleteI am not sure I fancy the thought of eating a jellied eel.
ReplyDeleteI think a few people visiting here Kath, would prefer eating an eel rather than a Snake or a Pigmy!
ReplyDelete(I have a dictionary of rhyming slang and it really is a good read.)
Jellied eels are a famous London delicacy Cherie. When you were down that way last week you should have given the 'naughty' cake a miss (too many calories) and tried a jellied eel (low calories & probably high in omega 3).
Only joking....You should stick to your 'fancy cakes'.
I love eels. I grew up having them as part of my East End diet. Since moving to Devon I can't get them at all and how I long for a decent eel.
ReplyDeleteAnd yet DD ....you could be nearer to Ireland now, where they come from, than your dear old East End.
ReplyDeleteI get so angry at thinking how far our food now travels. Just think of all those 'food miles' from Ireland to Billingsgate. Criminal.
I wonder if they are available in tins???
I'll look out for some for you.