.
"Drinking Songs".....There must be hundreds, but they all seem to be - Beer Drinking Songs.
They range from "Down at the Old Bull and Bush" to "Roll Out the Barrel".
.
.
I was after a wine drinking song, but no luck. So can you pretend the above is a Wine Barrel?
Now what is all this about?
“British households are pouring £470 million worth of wine down the plughole every year.”
And has someone asked every British household?
No? …..so where does this figure come from?
The figure has been collated for the Waste & Resource Action Programme (Wrap) as advisers to the Government.
Latest data shows that 1.8 million tonnes of food and drink from households end up in sewers, of which some 1.5 million tonnes of waste, valued at £2.7 billion, could have been avoided through better storage or planning.
And has someone asked every British household?
No? …..so where do these figure come from?
According to diaries kept by 319 households across the country the most wasted drink is milk, followed by fizzy soft drinks and then fruit juices and smoothies. Together they account for almost half of all avoidable waste by the 319 households.
So they select 319 households, read what they claim to throw away and then extrapolate to come up with a ludicrous figure for the total country of 26 million households!
.
.
And, by the way, WRAP are urging people to “freeze leftover wine and use it in cooking sauces and casseroles as part of the campaign to cut the nation’s carbon footprint.”
I think they may find that some people (like DD & me) do not have leftover wine.
I challenge them to find any waste wine in my drain, though as with most statistics of this type, I suspect it is largely made up. There is no way anybody can possibly know the true figure, and asking even 1000 homes doesn't give you a true national average. I don't throw away any leftovers, I freeze them or just put them in a tub and eat it the next day.
You can’t beat good old “Bubble ‘n Squeak”.
And..... Wine.
I drink it when I’m happy and when I’m sad;
Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone;
When I have company, I consider it obligatory.
I trifle with it if I’m not hungry and drink it when I am.
Otherwise I never touch it........Unless I’m thirsty !
And to finish....
A man went to see his doctor because his hands kept shaking.
“Do you drink much?” asked the doctor.
“No,” said the man. “I spill most of it.”
.

I had the same thoughts when I heard that news article. How can they possibly know whether people have thrown wine away or not!
ReplyDeleteWaste good wine...never!Or food? When there's hungry chooks/hens about, grateful to receive?It gets eaten by someone or goes to the hungry freezer for awhile.
ReplyDeleteHope that wine down the drain wasn't from McLaren Vale!
Well you see Cherie, there are lies, dam lies and statistics! In this case we have all three!
ReplyDeleteHi Liz,
I should imagine the only wine poured down the drain may have come from Spain!
Although I'm told it's not so rough as it used to be.
My favourite wines seem to come from Italy, California and Australia and not a bit goes to waste!