.
Well I don't know how everyone else is managing to make ends meet these days, but I have been reduced to looking at, indeed buying, supermarket's 'Own Brands'.
'Value', 'Economy' and all that.
Actually they are good for a lot of things. On the bag of apples for instance, it stated "All shapes and all sizes but same Quality". Who cares about the shape? They are rejecting too much good food these days anyway.
On Wednesday I bought a huge carton of mushrooms for 77p, which was quickly converted into six cartons of soup and frozen.
But the funniest I have encountered so far were these economy eggs.
Obviously they save money by not grading them?
.
.
It was a chicken egg.....and it did have a double yoke! Lovely.
That little glass eggcup on the right, contains one of those artificial eggs used to encourage hens to lay. That eggcup is another one of those 'items from my past'.
It is the sole survivor from a set of four given to my mother for a wedding present. Just think of all the eggs that little fellow has carried over the years.
Now I tried hard for 'Egg Music' but with no success, and all I could find on chickens, was 'The Chicken Dance', which is probably not the correct title anyway.......so
A little of a Pam Ayres poem.
.

.
I’m Hexpecting a Hegg, a Hillicit Hegg,
A Hegg lyeth here, in my breast,
While the trees were bright-leaved
I rashly conceived,
A Hegg, Houtside of the Nest.
The crow stood on one leg, said “You’re having an Egg,
And the other birds feel your are bad,
But if with me you came,
You’d be free of your shame,
Of having an Egg with no Dad.”
“For a nominal fee, I will take you to see,
My friend, who lives up the back doubles,
If you swear not to fail,
To pay on the nail,
He will duff up the source of your troubles.
She was made to sit in, a bathful of gin,
And she was obliging and meek,
She was made to consume,
Some soap and a prune,
And her feathers fell out for a week!
With apologies to Pam Ayres
.
For all those 'Chicken Fanciers' I am told that the picture is of a Polish Bearded Golden-Laced Chicken!
.
Is a chicken crossing the road….poultry in motion?
.
Finally
'We've got chickens in our backyard
We feed 'em on Indian corn,
Some lay eggs and some lay pegs
And some lay nothing at all.
Chase me Charlie, Chase me Charlie,
Lost the leg of me drawers.
If you find it, never mind it,
Stitch it on to yours'.
.

Wasn't there a little ditty that started "Chick, chick, chick, chicken, lay a little egg for me..."
ReplyDeleteI am making a huge cauldron of soup today, with reduced price chicken and vegetables (near sell by date). I handful of "soup mix" (barley, lentils etc) and it'll provide lunch for 2 people for several days.
Spot on Kath. My Dad used to sing that to us back in the 'Forties'.
ReplyDeleteI didn't think you were old enough to have heard that?
I don't think I have a copy...I'll have a hunt around.
Soup sounds great, I'll be round!
I actually use the slow cooker for all soups except mushroom. I love the idea that you don't have to watch it.
Just leave it on its own all day.
Yes, I am a great fan of thee slo-cooker for exactly that reason. I also use it in the caravan as it doesn't create any steam or condensation. The best thing is that you can throw any uninspiring set of ingredients, including a tough piece of meat, which will be tranformed into a mouth watering stew!
ReplyDeleteThinking about the chicken ditty, I think it must have been something my Dad or my Granparents must have taught us. It has the perfect rythm for bouncing a littl'un on ones knee! In fact I used to repeat it to my son when he was tiny. I quite like it, that these old ryhmes get passed on, rather like playground chants and skipping rhymes. Our teacher taught us a rhyme that started "Who goes there Punchinello, little fellow". I always wondered who was Punchinello?
ReplyDeleteNice eggs, but what I really covet is that big mess of mushrooms you mentioned. You're right, a lot of food gets discarded because people don't understand their food very well. You can get salmonella from lovely prepackaged, perfect spinach. Just because it looks perfect doesn't mean it is. On the other hand, a misshapen apple isn't going to kill you. Nor a double-yolked egg. Bon appetit!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Mismatched eggs and apples!! See the EU has come to it's senses or is food running out?
ReplyDeleteLove those Portmerion eggcups Bernard, if they're missing off your dresser you'll know where they went!
Soup! Lovely stuff.Great fan of the slo-cooker also.Nothing better at the end of a hard day's work to know a pot full of oxtail stew is waiting or best-end neck casserole or anything really,Such a comfort.
And go out for the day, Kath and find it waiting and hasn't burned or overcooked.
ReplyDeleteGrumpy Old Ken was asking sometime back about rhymes from our childhoods. I could remember a few lines but not complete ones.
Hi Jan, just been reading up on your hols...sounded great. That looked a lovely salmon salad but......Oh dear,
plastic knife & fork?
I didn't know that there was salmonella on vegetables...that is news to me. The eu have seen so much 'non-perfect' food thrown away that they have relaxed their rules.
Common sense wins again.
Liz, as I said above the eu has seen sense at last. I get so used to using the slo-cooker during the winter when it really comes into its own, that I miss it in the summer. There is not much call for it in the summer, although I believe you can make soups to be served cold.
"Cluck cluck cluck aaaAAAAAck!!!
ReplyDeleteI was going to suggest "Chick chick a chick chick a chicken" as suggested by Kath.
What about "I had a lot of chickens, a large chicken run"
or "Old MacDonald" because he did have a hen as well as other animals.
I feel as if I know other chicken tunes but they are simply not coming to mind.
This post reminds me to ask you what you did in the end with your glut of tomatoes.
Hello Foody. Blogging on Saturday lunchtime eh? And laying, by the sound of it!
ReplyDeleteYes, I should have remembered "Lay a Little Egg for Me". I don't know the next suggestion "I had a lot of Chickens" . You'll have to tell us more.
Tomatoes....I gave loads away and made soup....and froze it in every container I could find. I still have plenty left!
Cheers.....Bernard