.
Professor Sir David Read, told The Times that one of the crucial findings of a recent report, was the importance of woods in river catchment areas. “Trees intercept rainfall and retain water, and one of the problems we are seeing now in the Lake District is [that] there is nothing to stop the water running off the hills,” he said. “We must look again at the contribution of forestry in the uplands and returning them in the direction they once were before we deforested them.”
.

.
And then further on I read.......
“Eight million real ‘Christmas’ trees are sold in Britain each year and the Nordmann fir has become the favourite because of its dark green needles, which do not drop.
Growers last night warned hundreds of thousands of the most popular varieties will not be available here this year - pushing up prices in the process.
The shortage is being blamed on the poor exchange rate, which makes it less profitable for foreign producers to export to Britain.”
Well I say “Good!”
Do we really have to ship dead trees around the world just for decorative purposes. There are so many excellent artificial trees available - it isn't necessary to cut down the real thing only for it to be dumped a couple of weeks later.
If you can’t abide artificial trees then it makes more sense, rather than purchasing a cut-off stump, to simply buy a small "Christmas tree" to make a permanent feature in the garden. This could then be decorated each year. Much better than wasting millions of good trees every year for a few weeks' fun.
When I was a child we had a small one growing in the garden. This was dug up each year and placed in a large pot. In those days the Christmas period started twelve days before the ‘big day’ and finished on 2nd January, so the tree was not long indoors. Of course there was no central-heating either to dry it out. It survived many years of this until it got too big for its pot.
Plastic trees are also reasonably good and have improved vastly in recent years.
It seems such a waste to kill a tree for one day's festivities.
Don’t get too upset …..this is only me and my old fashioned views.
But..........
..... out upon the hillside,
Where the Christmas trees had stood,
All was completely barren,
But for little stumps of wood.
The little trees that flourished
All the year, were there no more,
But in a million houses,
Dropped their needles on the floor.
.
Stumped?.....Yes I was stumped for sheet music,
although I did find "The Cherry Tree Carol".
.

Ohhhhh... I love my real tree I'm afraid. If I re-planted every year I would have a garden full of them, which I don't want. The way I see it is this: person plants acres of Christmas trees. He plants in rotation so every year a section of his trees are cut while others are growing to be big enough. Each year he re-plants the area cut. Next year he cuts the ones that are next due etc etc. He harvests an annual crop which he continues to replace and that gives him a business and an income. It doesn't permanantly deprive our world of those trees because he is busy restocking all the time, and it keeps Chickens happy.
ReplyDeleteMy tree is there for about 3 weeks, not one day, and although I don't buy sprayed trees or noble fir I have needle retention down to a T(r) ee!
Sorry. Too long for comment. Should be my own post.
I'm from a very un-Christmassy family, was deprived of festivities all childhood. In my adulthood I am revolting! Please excuse me for the outburst.
What the blinkin' heck is going on? I tried to post the above but there was error and it said I couldn't. I was kind of relieved and returned to put on a shorter one, but the original one is there, although your post says "0 comments" at the bottom. There's somthing weird going on.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you Bernard, I like to decorate a tree in the garden. In our last garden a previous owner had thoughfully planted a large silvery coloured fir tree in the front garden, now we have a large yew by the drive gates, which gets covered in lights every christmas.
ReplyDeleteBernard, I think you and I read from the same script. Move over, I need the soapbox. I never have a real Christmas tree for the same reasons outlined. Our Christmas tree, right at the bottom of the garden, is nearly up to the sky. And so it shall remain, no cut-off stumps allowed. What would the wildlife do if we started cutting chunks off it. Rotational planting is fine for the marketeer but it's still a waste of a good tree to buy and let die.
ReplyDelete"I am revolting!"..said Foody.
ReplyDeleteWell I think you're lovely, especially when you get cross.
I did say "Don't get too upset" because I knew this is a personal thing and I respect all your views on it. I was saddened last year to see our local Garden Centre burning hundreds of unsold trees.
That's all.
We should all enjoy our Christmases in whatever way we choose and I hope you do make up for all those lost childhood festivities that you missed out on.
There is no right or wrong on this.
It's just a feeling I get about certain actions. Different people will feel entirely different about all manner of things, like being a vegetarian etc.
I just love trees.
And all your interesting comments.
Thanks Foody, Kath & Val.
I agree with you I couldn't bear to cut up a real tree just to throw it away. I could cope with a real one in a tub, but I think I will stick with my artificial ones. They have done me good service and are still going strong :-)
ReplyDeleteWith you all the way Cherie. My old artificial one is still going strong although every year there is less and less 'snow' on it. A little drops off each year getting it into the loft.
ReplyDeleteSome people go out and buy a new artificial one each year....which seems a bit wasteful.
Oh, but I wasn't cross in the slightest. I put in the apology because I thought you might think I was cross and be offended yourself. I was having fun. I just feel that the trees are a means to an end, much like growing cabbages...or timber. That too is a crop. I don't think I would be more against them even if they were deciduous trees simply because of their being grown as a commercial crop.
ReplyDeleteI did think you might be a teeny weeny bit cross but I was in no way offended. Having fun is what it is all about.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you are saying about 'them being a crop' and that they are a 'hard woody type of veg' but I don't like to see them cut down in their prime. (I have a similar dislike to eating veal and lamb).
Hey, I notice your blog is becoming quite popular. Keep up the good work...as they say!
Couldn't agree more and I was once so grumpy about it I completely took away someone's pleasure in their newly bought tree by saying "Why would you celebrate by having a dying tree in your front room?" They were fair game, so don't feel too sorry for them as they'd queried where my tree was and are supposed Greenies! Don't you enjoy the contradictions? I'm one myself but it has to be consistent.
ReplyDelete"Why would you celebrate by having a dying tree in your front room?"
ReplyDeleteHave to admit that sounds a bit of a 'put down'.
I don't interfere, I prefer them to reason it out for themselves.
I have 30 acres of Christmas trees right out my back door. They have actually added to the environment because they make a very good nesting site for birds, and the smaller birds can use them for cover from raptors. If they save trees from being cut in the mountains, where they are essential, so much the better. I seldom have a tree myself, though. Some years there will be a tree or two that people cut and then leave in the field, and I might use one of those. Mostly though we just prune a lower branch off the Blue Spruce, tack it to the wall, and put a few ornaments on it. Or just put lights up without greenery. It's the lights I really like, anyway. And poinsettias.
ReplyDeleteNow that is a good idea Jan. Cut a few branches off for decoration.
ReplyDeleteMy Mother used to do decorations like that. She took a coat-hanger, tacked some branches down each side and placed a sort of Christmassy bit in the centre. Ready to hang up - complete with hook!