.
.
The above song dates from 1932 and was sung by Gracie Fields. It was also known as the "Big Ben Chime" waltz as the first eight bars match the chimes.
Way back in 1932, Bill Harding would have been twenty.....he is now 97 and is believed to be Britain’s oldest bell ringer.
Mr Harding walks two miles each day to pull the bell that weighs 250kg at St Mary’s Catholic Church, in Brewood, Staffordshire.
He said: “I’ve been doing it for about 23 years. I got asked whether I’d like to do it and I’ve never stopped.”
He also trains children at the village’s primary school to follow in his footsteps. Mr Harding added: “Maybe one of them could be the next generation of bell ringers. But I hope I can keep going until I’m 100.”
And the very best of luck to him. Lets hope he doesn't encounter any 'Elf 'n Safety" bods or even those 'killjoys' that are trying to silence the ringing of Church bells....referring to it as 'sound pollution'!
Whilst on the subject of bells, here are the "bell ringers" that I have just bought. They were made in Holland and put me back a 'bob or two'.
.
.
I couldn't have made anything as good as these. Sometimes you have to admit defeat....never mind I can still claim the organ is 99% "all my own work".
.
.
All that remains now is to paint those scrolls. Every where I spot an organ I photograph the scroll work to get some ideas. There seems to be an infinite combination of colours and styles.
.
.
This is from one of the many organs at Amersham.
.

That is a 6-star organ there! 99% all your own work? You should be proud.
ReplyDeleteI agree, you should be very proud.
ReplyDeletethese little figurines are delighful, they remind me of the Dresden shepherdesses. You must be a rare beast bernard, to be arty as well as Brainy. I thought people were one or the other. Obviously both sides of your brain are fully functioning- how exhausting :D sorry only teasing!
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing gentleman that bell ringer is.
ReplyDeleteI love the two bell ringer figures and am looking forward to seeing the completed scrolls.
You have done an outstanding job with the organ. I wish I had the ability that you have.
ReplyDeleteThank you all for being soooo kind.
ReplyDeletePeople ask -
"How long has that taken you to build?"
"Four years!!!!"
"Wouldn't it have been easier to go out and buy one?"
Ah, yes but I enjoy making things. I enjoy arranging my own music and most important to me is that I have the only one of these Organs in the World. It's unique.
And it kept me 'happy' building it, playing it, and receiving kind compliments like those above.
Thanks.