.
When London’s getting hot and dry,
And half the season’s done,
To Marlow you should quickly fly,
And bask there in the sun.
There pleasant quarters you may find –
The “Angler” or the “Crown”
Will suit you well, if you’re inclined
To stay in Marlow town.
1886: A Marlow Madrigal, J. Ashby-Sterry
About three miles upstream from here is the town of Marlow.
I have to admit that I have not previously heard of Ashby-Sterry but I, and I expect most of you, have heard of the poet Shelley.
.
.
He lived in Marlow for short while and the house, still standing, is marked with one of the usual round blue plaques.
An extract from his wife’s diary states…...
"During the year 1817 we were established at Marlow, in Buckinghamshire. Shelley's choice of abode was fixed chiefly by this town being at no great distance from London, and its neighbourhood to the Thames.
Poems were written in his boat, as it floated under the beech groves of Bisham, or during wanderings in the neighbouring country, which is distinguished for peculiar beauty. The chalk hills break into cliffs that overhang the Thames, or form valleys clothed with beech; the wilder portion of the country is rendered beautiful by exuberant vegetation; and the cultivated part is peculiarly fertile."
We have a beautiful suspension bridge here at Marlow which gets a mention in a story and film and has acquired a certain notoriety in connection with a "puppy pie".
.

.
From the Railway Children by Edith Nesbitt -
"You mustn't take no notice of my Bill," said the woman;
"'is bark's worse'n 'is bite. Some of the kids down Farley way is fair terrors. It was them put 'is back up calling out about who ate the puppy-pie under Marlow bridge."
"Who did?" asked Phyllis.
"I dunno," said the woman.
"Nobody don't know! But somehow, and I don't know the why nor the wherefore of it, them words is poison to a barge-master."
.
.
The background to this is thus explained:-
"The landlord of the inn at Medmenham had received private information that certain bargemen meditated that night a foray on his larder. He was a humorous man, who had just drowned a litter of young puppies. So he had their corpses baked in a pie, which he placed in the larder, and did not sit up to keep guard. The larder was robbed, the pie was carried off and conveyed to Marlow Bridge, where the plunderers feasted, as they supposed, on young rabbits."
.

That is very interesting Bernard. My Father in law told me, that as a young Irishman immigrating to England in search of work, he was taken on, to work on that very bridge.
ReplyDeleteDespite being a fairly frequent visitor to Marlow at one time, I didnt realise Shelley had lived there. I love those windows, the house has a very colonial look, but then I guess architects of the day brought ideas back from their travells.
It's on the road to Henley...on the right just past Waitrose.
ReplyDeleteEnjoyed that little bit of local history, Bernard. Amusing end too. I was reminded, don't know why, of the time the car radiator needed constant topping up. I used a brandy bottle to carry water around. A thief who broke into the car stole only one thing, the brandy bottle filled with water.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting Bernard and what a blissful way to write poetry,lucky man.
ReplyDeleteThe puppy pie story could have been written by Beatrix Potter, of course if it had no-one would read it any more because it might scare the kids too much.
Good-morning ladies.
ReplyDeleteI like to do a bit every-so-often on local history. Not too much...it may not interest everyone.
That tale,Val, reminds me of that Steptoe episode where Harrold was saving the dregs out of 'empty' bottles. By pouring the few left-over drops of brandy off into another bottle it was gradually filling up until one day decanted from a bottle that someone had used for paraffin!
You are right Liz, although it was mentioned in the 'Raiway Children' which of course is still very popular today even though they don't know what a steam train is!
All very interesting, I had not heard of the puppy pie before.
ReplyDeleteas a dog lover I cringe at the puppy pie tale but fascinating, I haven't been to Marlow in many a year but have some very happy memories of my times there xx
ReplyDeleteHi Cherie, I believe you can still buy these pies in Korea! No....I'm only joking.....well I HOPE I am.
ReplyDeleteDon't cringe Sage. It is probably a tall story put around to entertain the children.
Marlow is still worth a visit. Hasn't been spoilt by "progress".