.
O come with me, Ghosts walk tonight,
Victims of bloody border fight
Who made our English history,
Grey phantom Percies lead the way
Against the Douglas chivalry,
Grey ghosts of ancient mystery.
Victims of bloody border fight
Who made our English history,
Grey phantom Percies lead the way
Against the Douglas chivalry,
Grey ghosts of ancient mystery.
.

.
Recently I've been reading about Northumberland on Cherry Pie's blog.
It looks a facinating place.
I have been 'north of the border' many times, but seem to have always, quite literately, flown over the actual border and its regions. I guess I should have taken my fathers advice and paid it a visit. He always loved walking and this was one of his favourite regions.
As England's 'Border County', it is not surprising that many great battles have been fought on Northumbrian soil between the English and the Scots. Most notable were the battles at Otterburn (1388) and at Flodden Field (1513), but there were many other lesser known battles and Border feuds fought in Northumberland. Until the Union of the English and Scottish Crowns in 1603 life in the Border County could be extremely dangerous and was often a one of strife and misery.
The only music that spring to mind is:-
"South Of The Border (Down Mexico Way)"
South of the border, down Mexico way.
That's where I fell in love where stars above, came out to play.
And now as I wonder, my thoughts ever stray.
South of the border, down Mexico way.
Sorry no sheet music cover today.........but on the subject of borders:-
There seems to be quite a large variation in welcoming parties for illegal immigrants at border crossings....
North Korean border, you get 12 years' hard labour.
Iranian border, you are detained indefinitely.
Afghan border, you get shot.
Saudi Arabian border, you will be jailed.
Chinese border, you may never be heard from again.
Russian border, you will be branded a spy and your fate will be sealed.
Cuban border, you will be thrown into political prison to rot.
UK Border, you get
Free healthcare
An unearned income
A home
Free education for your kids
Furnishings for your home
Free dentistry
Free use of an infra-structure paid for by the toil and taxes of previous generations
The free use of all social facilities
Free translation services
Agencies that will help you settle in
Free round the clock police protection
You will find the law is weighed in your favour
And I expect you'd like a 'border' joke to finish...
A young boy arrived late for school.
“Why are you late, Norman?“ asked the teacher.
“I’m sorry, miss, but I had to get my own breakfast today.”
“All right, Norman. Settle down. We are doing geography and here is a map of Asia. Can you tell me where the Pakistan border is?”
“Yes miss, in bed with Mum. That’s why I had to get my own breakfast.”
.

Great ending joke, Bernard. Enjoyed the 'border' lines (pun intended) but cringed at the reality.
ReplyDeleteOf course it was a 'border line' case as to whether to include that bit or not. Glad you liked the joke.
ReplyDeleteCheers......Bernard
I've printed the borderlines so Hubs can have a laugh.
ReplyDeleteOoh you are a caution, our Bernard! :D
ReplyDeleteInteresting how chivalry used to rhyme with that other word at the end.
ReplyDeleteI note you didn't include Australia...if you fly in you disappear into the community and if you come by boat you get shipped to Christmas Island where you're incacerated for some years while the officials decide whether to send you home or give you refuge status.
I think there is stacks of border music out there but not one thing will come to mind now that I try to think of it.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you found the posts interesting :-)
ReplyDeleteThe borders history fascinates me and I have friends born in Scotland, so it is interesting to see both sides.
I found them very interesting Cherie and such wonderful photos.
ReplyDelete